1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversation with Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DhammaGamer, Sep 29, 2012.

1. DhammaGamer

So I met with my mom at her house this morning. I haven't been there since last march. She cooked me breakfast, which was amazing since I haven't had her food in so long. We sat down and talked for a solid 4 hours about me and my transition and basically absolutely everything about my past, my decision to transition, and even my plans for surgery and stuff.

She was very honest with me about the troubles she has been having since I cam out to her a month or so ago. She said she started seeing a therapist for the first time in her life, which I think is a sign that she is doing everything she can to make sense of what is going on and everything.

I can say with complete sincerity that my mother and I have never had such a heartfelt and meaningful conversation in my entire life. She even gave me stuff for my hair and helped me put it in lol She was looking for my phone when it was ringing cuz she wanted to snoop on me and I told her it was in my purse and she goes "oh god, its in your purse, i think i might have a stroke" it was funny

It was obvious that she still has a whole lot to tackle with this, but she was so so accepting and just trying to understand why I'm doing this. She even came out and told me "so you and me and your stepfather will have dinner sometime during the week soon, so you can talk to him too" and she is making plans after that for my brother and sister to come together one night so everyone can get the questions out that they need to and so we can move forward amicably.

I have been under the assumption that she would not want to tell her in-laws, who have basically been my surrogate grandparents since I was 10. But, she was like "should we tell them, or would you like to yourself?" and I told her I ddint think she would want me to, and she just started hugging me. She said "I can't believe you would think that, honey, we love you, all of us, it's so sad that you would think that." I was crying pretty hard.

I love my mom so much. It was such an amazing experience. I am so blessed. Just thought I would share.

<3

2. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very glad to hear how supportive your mother's become. Best of luck when you talk to your siblings and in-law/grandparents. :slight_smile:

3. DhammaGamer

Thanks :slight_smile: My brother and sister already, know, and my sister has been incredibly supportive. Mom just want things to be in the open I think. My brother has been pretty hostile toward me at times, so she wants to address it.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! This has got to be such a wonderful experience for you, and... hopefully will make it easier for you to work on your other issues as well!

5. AlexisAnne

That's so wonderful! I'm glad that she's so supportive, and it sounds like she is really doing everything she can to try and understand the situation. Makes me think about my mom and how much I'm dreading the talk.

Still, I'm really happy for you. It sounds like you have an amazing family! :slight_smile:

6. julia

So, so happy you have someone to confide in, especially your mother! She sounds incredibly supportive. :slight_smile:

7. madi

It sounds like even if your mom doesn't completely understand your transition she is very supportive. So happy for you that you have someone like that in your life. Hope your brother will come around with time.

8. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so proud of you <3 *super fun hugs and cuddles*

9. Pexetta

That's lovely to read. Sometimes I dare to hope that my mum might be the same way once she'd got used to the idea.

10. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww, that's so sweet. Lovely to hear, hope things get even better! :grin:
    <3

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow!! That's really great to hear!! I'm glad to hear that she is accepting you!!

12. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so happy for you! You've got a good support system it sounds like! (*hug*) I'm sure those who are hostile towards your transition will come around in time.:icon_wink

13. J Snow

Congratulations! I'm incredibly jelly of you for having such an awesome accepting mother =)

14. IllusiveRannoch

yay. congrats about your mom being supportive of you.

15. FollowtheFreeman

Some faith in humanity has been restored!

That's wonderful to hear just how supportive and accepting she was. I can understand how adapting to such a large transition could be difficult for her. You're lucky to have such a loving mother!

16. Wrongdaytodie

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aaw, that's wonderful :slight_smile:
    So glad your mum is so acceptance and supportive :grin:D