1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AlexisAnne, Oct 1, 2012.

1. AlexisAnne

I took my first concrete steps toward finding a therapist today, and I'm pretty proud of myself. I sent an email to one of the ones I found online who's not too far away from where I live. I got a message back a short time later, telling me that they'd love to talk to me and I should give them a call.

Two years ago, when I was trying to deal with this, I backed out at that point. I let it fade into the background again and went back to repressing it. This time I called the number. I got a machine, but again, instead of backing out, I left my contact information and the best times to contact me. I'm hoping to hear back from them tomorrow.

I just wanted to share because this is a really major step for me, and I've already managed to take it further than I did the last time.

Wish me luck!

2. LauraMarie

Congrats on that step! Its great to hear that your improving i hope all goes well keep us updated :grin:D

3. IllusiveRannoch

nice job TJM. having someone to really talk to is a great start. i hope it goes well.

4. AlexisAnne

Thank you. I actually got a call back, but I was out, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to actually talk to them. Still, I feel really good about this!

5. AlexisAnne

Just spoke to the therapist I contacted. I have my first appointment on the 11th. Can't believe I'm really doing this!

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! Best of luck... and take the time at your first couple of appointments to make sure it feels like a "fit." Not all therapists are good ones, and not all are right for each person, so it's a matter of finding one you feel comfortable and safe with. Don't be afraid to try another one if you aren't happy... a competent therapist will understand.

7. AlexisAnne

Thanks for the advice Chip. I'll certainly keep it in mind.

8. Valarie

Valarie Guest

yeah, I really just said fuck it I'm calling
    before that I spent like a few weeks of looking up therapist and seeing which one is the closest/best
    I was really nervous at first but now I feel more comfortable, and really needed her to help me through this (though initially the main reason was to get hormones)

9. AlexisAnne

Yeah, I definitely need to talk to somebody professional about this. I'm nervous, but really looking forward to it. I spoke to her for a few minutes on the phone, nothing serious, just a quick little chat, and she seemed nice enough. I hope she turns out to be somebody I can continue going.

As for hormones and the idea of transitioning, I have a couple of concerns, chief amongst them being that I live with family members which is going to make things rocky if it should come to that. Financially I could probably afford to move out and get a place on the cheaper side, unfortunately without my rent, other people here would probably be out of a house shortly thereafter.

I know in my heart who I am and after so long living in a dark place, I've made the commitment to myself that I'm going to do what it takes to find some piece and a shot at happiness. I know what that could likely mean and I have absolutely no qualms about it on the inside. I really do want this. I'm worried about fallout from the family, but I'm more worried about people losing a home that they can't afford.

In case you're wondering, my chief personality archetype is Martyr.

So, right this moment I'm committed to seeing a therapist and just taking step after step, one foot in front of the other from there.

10. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well done, you're on the right path.

11. Valarie

Valarie Guest

good luck
    and yeah, i was already out to my family i lived with when i started going to the therapist so i didnt have to worry about that, but now i need to worry about my friends finding out before i tell them, which is hopefully soon (if i dont procrastinate more)

be true to yourself, feels so much better, but i know how frightening it can be sometimes
    be strong and stay happy ^.^

12. AlexisAnne

Thank you Valerie :slight_smile:

13. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on setting up the appointment! And it sounds like they got you in pretty quick.

Try not to worry too much - take the counselling one step at a time, feel the therapist out, and see where things go. You're on the path. :slight_smile:

14. AlexisAnne

Thank you Gravity. I am nervous, but I'm excited too. One step at a time :slight_smile: