1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to Mum

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Tycho, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Tycho

A while back I posted a thread about how I was having trouble with always denying/changing the subject when my mother confronted my sexuality. Tonight my automatic response of "NO!?!" wasn't here to ruin things.

I'm out to mum.

Long story shortened - my mother, sister and I were discussing having kids/partners etc and I made the "forever alone with 10 cats" comment. She says "I hope not. I hope you find a girlfriend some day".
    Instead of going into shut down mode or changing the subject I shrugged and said "we'll see... it's complicated". Then the conversation moved to how I wanted kids but I'm not in touch with my feminine side enough to carry the baby... blah blah (you get the idea). She does really want me to be the one who carries though haha.

So great response. She was a little bit intoxicated but usually remembers such things so it's done and dusted.
    I feel mildly relieved that I can now be open about dating and other LGBT related issues with her. My last dating experience left me in a bad place and so now I'll have a support network to rant about it with :grin:
    Next hurdle: coming out to a group of highly religious friends. That's gonna take some time.

Anyway, I'm happy. And I hope anyone else who has trouble with confirming things with there parents takes this as some encouragement.
    :thumbsup:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mom! Glad to hear that she is supportive and feel that you can talk with her about dating and LGBT issues! That's wonderful! :slight_smile:

Hope your coming out journey will continue to go well.

3. Faded Jeans

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Grats!
    Good luck with those religious friends o' yours :3

4. L Drigo

Congratulations on coming out! I'm so happy for you!

One thing to realise is that if your friends really are friends, then they won't care, religion or not, if you're gay. If they reject you for it, well I guess they're not really friends, are they?

A lot of my male friends are like, masculine, sporty, and use terms like faggot and homo and stuff like that, so I was initially a bit reserved in telling them. But when I told them, they were completely fine with it, and they said I was still the same awesome guy I was before.

I also told them I was fine with the words like faggot and homo cause to me, I don't take offense to the, at all, plus I don't want to be treated any differently or tip-toed around.