1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Valarie, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Valarie

Valarie Guest

so I've just told my family I live with and my mom informed a couple aunts and cousins
    coming out to my family was really nerve racking to me, kind of thought they would think worse of me,
    though I'd knew that they are very supportive.

so I have trouble telling more people because of this thought.
    hopefully I will tell a few of my friends this week and my uncle.
    currently writing a letter to help me to tell them and explain
    I don't want to lose my friends so I'm procrastinating
    though I shouldn't wait to long to tell them
    so I'm trying to get enough courage to tell them, and also hear others stories

also, have some anxiety issues, doesn't help ...

2. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good Luck, a letter is a great idea! Was is releiving when you told you family? It will most likely be similar with your friends.

3. Valarie

Valarie Guest

it was relieving, but my mom kind of forced it out of me, really wanted to tell them, but very nervous and not really ready to talk

now I'm still nervous, but more prepared to tell them and I will have a letter saying what I want to say, for the most part

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Feeling more prepared to come out to others is a good sign. Writing it all out, where you are able to convey your thoughts and feelings in as much detail as you need to, is a great way of coming out.

It is quite normal to feel that people will "think worse of me if they know." Try to counteract that thought with the 'evidence' that you have, which is having come out to you mom, who is supportive. I am very sure that she doesn't think of you differently now. She is probably relieved as well that you want to be yourself.

5. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well done, you had the difficult part done. It's always more frightening to tell your family, because family is supposed do support us, and if they refuse, it would be devastating. BUT, thruth is that, while in some cases it may hurt to your family, they will understand better than you think.

Of course, there are exceptions, but you know your own family, if there's a member that you know will not take it well, you need to be cautious.

Since you've already done this part, its better, because your friends (the real ones) will be willing to support you.

6. Valarie

Valarie Guest

going to come out to my uncle soon, he'll most likely be supportive (99% sure)
    and to a few friends (maybe 80% sure ...)

yeah i know a family member, my other uncle, that would not understand it at all and need to tread lightly there

7. courtneys

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    how should i come out to my parents??