1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am finally out to someone!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Closet88, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I did not envisage tonight ending up the way it did! I went for a few drinks with a girl I used to work with a few years back. Turns out she is a lesbian and is out to her family and friends. After a few drinks I asked her to tell me her coming out story. After hearing how brave she was in coming out I decided it was finally my time to tell someone at the age of 23... I took a deep breath and just told her... "I'm gay".... For some reason I covered my face as I said those words, expecting her to reject me. She just smiled and hugged me! She was surprised and said she would never have guessed as I am so straight acting.

I feel like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders! We continued the night out and went to some gay bars. I was unsuccessful in my search for a man but that doesn't really matter to me. At least I have finally been able to share my secret with someone and be accepted for who I am! I feel fantastic, despite the fact that I am still a long way from telling my family and close friends!

2. O_Negative

YAY! all the happiness today! (I had a little happy moment myself today ^_^)

congrats! I'm so glad people are doing well today!!!

3. Thyker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's awesome, Closet!

You know, I have come out to other LGBT and I still get so nervous! I'm not sure why I think that they're going to reject me. :lol:

4. madi

so happy for you :slight_smile: I hope she becomes a resource for you. Enjoy that amazing feeling

5. Valarie

Valarie Guest

i read this and i was awesome, congrats

but then i noticed you hide your face when your embarrassed/nervous :icon_redf
    I do it all the time, yeah random!

but good for you, hopefully goes that well for me when i tell my friends

6. AlexisAnne

Congrats! That's awesome. As far as covering your face, don't feel bad. I tend to look away and avoid any eye contact when I come out, whether I'm talking to other LGBT or straight people. Like was said earlier, enjoy the feeling. You earned it :slight_smile:

7. Night Rain

That's cute! xD I did something similar when I first came out too.

And congratulations! It's really nice to read a story like that.

8. Pyrotactick

Congratz! I came out too today! Problem is the person I came out to didn't believe me at first. Probably am going to have to since I'm going to a dance with a guy. Enough of me, good job and I'm happy you feel that way!

Quick question:
    What's it like in a gay bar (said the nooblet)?

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to her. It is absolutely wonderful that you feel fantastic and you can breath a bit easier. Your coming out to her, might very well start giving you some encouragement to start thinking about coming out to you one or two of your close friends. But for now, enjoy the moment. :slight_smile:

10. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all your comments :grin:. It feels really strange that I've actually told someone... The covering your face thing seems to be quite a common theme!

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2012 at 10:23 AM ----------

Gay bars are cool, funnily enough the one person I tried to make a move on last night was straight :lol: Plenty more fish in the sea though :slight_smile:. And congrats to you for coming out too!

11. lizzie68

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is common to expect rejection. At least that's been my experience. I came out to a man I have known for 6 years who is openly gay last week. He laughed and welcomed me - and I felt the butterflies in my stomach. I thought how odd that I expected rejection from someone who lives the life that I am learning to embrace.
    From age 9, I learned that being lesbian was wrong when I first came out to my sister. Since then, I have rejected myself countless times... for feeling natural - dare I say - beautiful feelings of love for people who happen to be the same sex I am. I am 44 now - many many years of rejecting self. What goes on in my inner world I expect in my outer world.
    I have come out for the second and last time recently - and this time - not one person has rejected me. Just goes to show how internalized and damaging these things can be. Long story short, I shared this to possibly help you normalize the rejection for yourself. You are not your thoughts - you are not the rejection you feel. You are a whole beautiful person who deserves love.
    Have fun celebrating your process of becoming more fully you.

12. IllusiveRannoch

yaaay. very happy for you.

13. wc1

wc1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done!

14. Flutterby

Way to go! Things can only move forward from here. I totally understand your relief. :slight_smile:

15. Lad123

Congratulations! I'm so glad you managed to come out :slight_smile:

16. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your kind comments everyone. Still got a long way to go until I'm out to everyone but one person is a start :slight_smile: