1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Fast Did You Come Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Gerit, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Gerit

I first came out when I was 14. Nearly had a heart attack. The next time I told someone was 3 months later. The next person was 2 months, and now I'm finally getting to the point where I'm coming out more quickly and am not having really bad anxiety when I do.

I've heard of people completing coming out in a matter of 2 months or so, which just totally astounds me. Reading some of the posts on here, I feel like I'm really dragging the coming out process.

So how fast did you guys come out? I'm curious to see if I'm about normal or I'm super slow with my coming out. :slight_smile:

2. Butterthecat23

Believe me, the way my life is now, I wish I had waited. but then again I was found out, so I didn't really get a say in the matter..... congrats tho! :slight_smile:

3. BudderMC

Precisely 13 months from start to finish, in terms of telling all the important people (friends, family). Except my dad, who I keep forgetting to tell.

4. Slowly and still trying.

5. Cloudbreaker

It took me about a decade to finally come out to myself at the end of last September, but after I got through that tremendous hurdle, I came out to my two closest friends about three months later at the beginning of January. I came out to one of my sisters a couple months after that in March, my parents two months after that in May, another sister at the end of June, and my youngest two sisters at the end of July (most of my coming out story can be found here). I finally changed my "Interested In" status on Facebook at the beginning of September and am taking my first baby steps into the world of dating. So it took me about a year to go from being in denial to considering myself pretty much out to everyone (my orientation isn't a secret, but it is still a fact that isn't too widely known yet).

It has been a great year.

#5 Cloudbreaker, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  6. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

I first came out at around 14/15 to a few friends and then didn't come out again until 21 when I transferred to a new school. Then over the next 7 months or so I came out to pretty much everyone that mattered. Sometimes I feel like I rushed it though.

7. Kuroi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I got asked by a friend who doubted. In fact it was 5 of them in the same time. I came out first then accepeted it 2 weeks later. I wouldnt change a thing about it.

8. MrHojalata98

Since I started accepting myself ...8 months and to tell you the truth I'm still waiting for the part where it becomes "easy" to tell people -_-

9. jvn95

I think mine was rather quick.

I came out to myself in an unconscious way two years ago when I fell deeply in love with another guy, I did not deny one bit of it, went with it because it was the happiest I had ever felt in my entire life. When I fell out of it(beginning of this summer) I admitted it to myself. It was about the end of may I think, after about two weeks I could not bare having to be alone in knowing I was gay, I told two people two weeks after first admitting it to myself, then at the end of June, I told another person, then the beginning of July I told another, and the end of July I told another. Each time it got better telling people, Still gettin there when it comes to telling the people I will fear telling the most though.

School starting made me focus on work not being gay. So it has taken a back seat for a couple of months, I'm planning on coming out this month though to someone else, I'm making a pact with myself to tell at least one person a month.

10. PicketFences

I am only going to include my family in this because I didn't have a say in being outed to my friends.

So on that note, you are much faster than me, I came out to my parents over 4 years ago and it went so badly that I only just got up the courage to come out to another family member (my Aunt) today.

So yea, for me it is four years and counting.

11. BadApple

BadApple Guest

um I finally figured out I was bi around 8yo but was very conflicted on the matter seeing that my dad raised me mormon but finally just accepted it a year later. I came out for the first time a few days ago to one of my closests friends. Not the way I intended to but it all worked out fine in the end :slight_smile:

12. speedracing22

I am 22 and I told my first friend about a year ago, and my second friend a few months ago. I plan on telling only the people I feel need to know (very close friends).

I will tell my family if/when I start dating a guy. I know they won't care, but it's just something I feel I don't need to share with them at this point. (I even feel weird telling them about girls I am dating to be honest lol)

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From the time that I first had an idea that I was not straight to the time I came out, four years.

14. SwordplayBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I did it earlier this week. I made the mistake of doing it over Facebook, so it was really impersonal, but I told everyone at once. Being 14, not everyone is taking me seriously, but I ripped the band-aid off.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started to come out in 2011, but I am still in the process of coming out. I'm open to new people that I meet, but I am still not out to most people in my hometown. That's going to change soon..

16. redstormrising

100 mph

from the time it suddenly dawned on me that i was gay to the time i told my family was probably a matter of hours. i told all the friends that mattered either later the same day, or within the next day or two.

17. AlexisAnne

It was probably about a year and a half for my orientation from start to finish, as far as telling the people that mattered. (We'll leave my father out of this for the moment). At this point now, anybody who meets me who asks, finds out. If they don't ask, I no longer worry about them reaching the correct conclusion on their own.

I did have an oops moment a week or so ago though. I realized, as I was talking to a friend about my gender, that some of my aunts and a cousin didn't know. I stopped by there and set that straight. They were never an issue of being afraid though. It was honestly a case of: I forgot :slight_smile:

18. King

King Guest

I consider my family to be The Big Five that I technically wanted to tell before being completely out. It's a bit confusing but here goes:

April 27th, 2009 - came out to my mom
    February 20th, 2012 - came out to my dad
    June 25th, 2012 - came out to my sister
    July 6th and 14th, 2012 - came out to my two brothers

So as you can see it took a while. When I originally told my mom, I wasn't ready at all. I have no idea why I decided to tell her. That's why there was such a gap between my parents... I've been out to myself since I was like, thirteen... And I was okay with it, I never had a problem accepting myself. But I wasn't ready to tell anyone, you know?
    Once I told my sister, it was mainly a matter of timing. And now that I'm out... I feel stupid for worrying so much about coming out. I don't understand why I was so afraid.

19. Valarie

Valarie Guest

well so far 10 months since knowing 100% and i think will be all out in 14 months or so, hopefully, if i dont procrastinate too much

20. L Drigo

I'm 16, and I came out to my older brother and all of my friends (as in close friends) within 2 weeks. I told my parents 2 weeks later. I'm out to anyone who asks now, but I don't tell unless they ask or if I feel they should know.