1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Five more down

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AlexisAnne, Oct 7, 2012.

1. AlexisAnne

Told my "nerd" group about my gender issues tonight, and the fact that I would be seeing a therapist for the first time this Thursday. They're a group of friends I've had for a long time, and we typically get together every Saturday Night to do nerd things: Role playing, video games... Every Saturday... no wonder I'm alone... :frowning2:

Just kidding. Anyway, I'd been psyching myself up to do it all evening and as we were getting ready to leave, I asked if they had a moment. I told them I was going to be seeing a therapist Thursday, and then I told them what I was seeing her for. There was a bit of a pause, and I told them what I've been dealing with all these years. I told them I didn't expect anything from them, and that I didn't even expect them to understand, but they're some of my closest friends and I wanted them to know. They told me they were glad I felt I could let them in on this, and that they would support whatever I needed to do that was best for me.

Afterward, the conversation went back to next weeks plans, and the games we currently have going. It was extremely good. There's one more to tell from my "nerd" group because he was on a trip, but I'm not anticipating a problem from him.

I was a little intimidated by the number of people I was telling at once, but we've always been a group and, intimidating as it was, it felt good to tell them all at once.

This is kind of major for me because, outside of casual work friends and the like, my friends all know now, and they're all on board with it! Yay me! :slight_smile:

I was honestly so happy when I got home tonight that I teared up and nearly started crying.

2. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congraaats to you!!! I love that you're in a nerd group like that, sounds SO fun! :grin:

3. Valarie

Valarie Guest

i have a similar situation, Thursdays XP, though im going to tell them one at a time
    you have more balls than i do (bad choice of words ...)

but anyway congrats

4. AlexisAnne

Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

The group is a lot of fun, and they're really great people.

And Valerie, there's absolutely nothing wrong with telling them one at a time. I actually seriously considered handling this situation exactly like that. I ultimately went the way I did because it was what felt right to me. It's different for different people. Telling them one at a time, or telling them all at once, the end result is the same. :slight_smile: Doesn't make you any less brave because you're taking a different route.

Good luck when you decide to start talking to your group!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on letting your "nerd" group know. Glad it went so well and that your support networking is growing exceptionally! :slight_smile:

6. Romi

This is wonderful news. I am so happy for you. You're a part of an awesome kind of group and that awesome group took it well! That's great!

7. AlexisAnne

Thank you. I've chosen my friends carefully over the years for their open mindedness and ability to be non judgemental. Up until now I could never bring myself to trust them for those very qualities. Feels good to finally do so :slight_smile: