1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A small step, but encouraging

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Muraba, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Muraba

Muraba Guest

I've come to terms with being gay, but I am living with a very conservative family. I have told my twin brother, and my two other brothers who are also twins. Thing is, I've told them separately.

I just recently, and finally, had a positive experience. My little brother, who we'll call N, was answering questions I was asking about the election because we watched the debate. He is 14 and I was seeming he would be old enough to understand what I was going through. I finally got up the nerve to ask him what his opinion was on gay marriage. He asked me if I was about to tell him if I was gay. I said yes, and I almost got discouraged.

N told me that it was okay and he was completely supportive of me and everything LGBT I asked him. He said he still saw me as the brother he grew up with. I had tried to tell my parents, but they didn't seem too happy and some bad things happened. I'm going to try again later. For now, though, we made a pact not to tell mom or dad until I was ready. So, now three people know and one of them is completely supportive. The bad thing about my other two brothers is that they see in the eyes of my mom and dad. They are very homophobic, but promised not to tell mom or dad. I don't care, as long as I have some support. Very happy, right now. :eusa_clap

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's nice to hear that your one brother is accepting. Hopefully the others come around when they start thinking for themselves. I don't want to be a downer, but are you sure you want to try telling your parents again? Things didn't go very well according to what you said in your last thread. I don't want to see you getting kicked out or abused. :frowning2:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, it's great that you came out to your brother. It's a great feeling to have some support, isn't it? :slight_smile:

Given that your older two brothers and your parents are homophobic or might not be as supportive and accepting, it is okay to wait, even for a longer period of time, if you have to. Try to keep building your support network in the meantime.

4. Muraba

Muraba Guest

I thought about your post, Lance. I am going to wait until i move out to tell them. i dont want to lose my assets, since i am going to college straight after high school. when i am able to pay my own bills and live by myself, i will tell them. that way i am safe financially in case it doesn't go down so well.

5. AAASAS

^
    Till then you should grasp to see their real legit opinion. A lot of people say things they don't entirely mean, and when it comes down to their kid being gay, all of a sudden they accept it, because hey, it's takes flesh and blood to realize the suffering of another human.

6. Muraba

Muraba Guest

WooEE, I don't know how I would bring it up without them freaking out about it. Things always lead to an argument in my house.

7. NickD

I'm very proud of the steps you have taken. I came out to a conservative family as well and surprisingly it went very smoothly. But, I still read extensively on the subject to anticipate any objections. I'm making a big assumption that they are Christian, and two books that are really enlightening are: Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics by Margaret Farley and The Bible, Christianity, and Homosexuality by Justin Cannon.

They're a good start, and if you want to talk about anything, please feel free to let me know!