1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to former youth group director

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BradThePug, Oct 10, 2012.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, tonight at midnight I am sending the letter that I wrote a couple of months ago to my second cousin/former youth group director . His attitude towards LGBT people has improved, but he still really does not like them. I'm starting this thread now because I need to actually send the letter this time, and by starting this thread, I'm more likely to actually do it. I really just need to end the homophobic church chapter of my life.

FIf you want to read my letter, it's here in my blog.

Wish me luck!! I'll keep you all updated!

2. IllusiveRannoch

ooo. best hopes indeed. im interested to see what happens next.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just sent the message. (with some slight time modifications because it is not 2 am here yet..)

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! Congrats on taking that step, it's a big one, and I hope that not only will it help close that chapter... maybe it will make a real difference in the lives of those who come after you :slight_smile:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that he has read it (thanks to facebook's new feature), but I haven't received a response yet. He did post a status that said this "Trust in Him at all times o people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." So.. I'm not sure if it's related or not.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I just realized that I actually never updated this thread with his response. Well, it came on Nov. 6th ( which was almost a month after I sent it.) Here is what he said:

This was actually a better response than I imagined getting. I just thought that he would hate me forever.

We still aren't exactly on talking terms though. We fight on facebook all the time. (I've debated deleting him. Then he would just text me because he has my number..)

We're supposed to meet this weekend (I'm bringing friends, he dosen't get as angry with me when there are others around. He's also cancelled on me more than a few times. I've cancelled on him as well..) It will be the first time that we have met face to face since the coming out letter (and the drama afterward).

Hopefully this won't turn into another insultfest. (Last time I saw him, he told me that god would strike me down with lightening because I have become gay and atheist...)

This is (hopefully) the last time that I am going to try to reconcile with him. I think I've given him more than enough chances since this whole thing started in December of 2010 (December 8th to be exact)

So... any advice about how to talk to him without accidentally insulting him.. (which I'm apparently good at.)

7. cloudburn

Ouch! I think you already know how your meeting is going to go. I know you've probably heard it a thousand times, but telling him that you understand where he's coming from, and that this isn't a choice blah blah should at least keep things civil, right? Also, the film "For the Bible Tells Me So..." helped alot in my situation with family, there's always that option.

Best of Luck! Let us know how it goes. (*hug*)

8. AnomynousMan

AnomynousMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Remember God loves you no matter what

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I finally had the meeting with him today. The meeting got delayed a bit because of multiple snow storms that hit here.

All in all, it went really well. There were a few awkward moments, but that was to be expected. He didn't recognize me at first. I was wearing a new coat and I had the hood up because it's cold.

He treated me the same way that he did before. The topic of me being gay never was brought up. We instead talked about how I was doing in school. I also asked how he had been since I went back to school. He even gave me a Christmas gift bag. I'm actually surprised at how well it went. I'm hoping that this is the start of us not fighting all the time.