1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, I hit the send button.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by LorenzG1950, Aug 21, 2006.

1. LorenzG1950

Yesterday, I finally hit the send button on the letter to my family (sister, brother, etc.) explaining to them that I'm gay. :icon_redf Like Proud, I felt I just couldn't wait any longer. Now I'm sweating it out, wondering what the reaction will be. It feels great to be about 95% out in just 6 months. (!) I must admit that it was relatively easy for me since I've been in a very gay-friendly environment and my hetero friends have supported me to the max. I've also had good tour guides for the local nightlife. I just wish everybody had a similar positive environment.

Waiting for the phone to ring from the other side of the Atlantic!

Lorenz:slight_smile:

2. TriBi

We'll all keep our fingers crossed for you that the response continues to be good!

Well done and all the best, Lorenz.

3. Mnstn

Good luck, I hope it all goes well.

4. NACHO

Hope Everything Goes Ok! And Goodluck With That!!!
    But Im Sure They Will Still Love You Even More Then Before!

5. tired_of_lying411

lorenz,

you have helped me a lot,

I have told 2 people(and one more coming) because you and the rest of the gang here have helped me focus my thoughts and just do it.

I still live at home (im 15) and have yet to tell my dad, but Im really happy for you.

Its stories like yours that make me think that my dreams of being out will play out exactly the way i want them to.

so, thanks--

everyone.

6. LorenzG1950

Hey guys,

thanks for all the moral support. And to Tired, it makes me feel good if any comments can help someone else. I'm sure you'll know when the time is right to tell your dad and I bet he will be supportive. I've gotten just as much courage from you guys and gals. (&&&) Last week I went to a gay club with my date and actually danced with him, my first time with a guy. It was very cool and we had a great time.

Anyway, I left a message on my sister's answering machine so the call should be coming soon. Of course I'll report on how it goes.

To be continued.

Lorenz:thumbsup:

7. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well i apoligise to everyone for my 5 day absence im sure most of you never even noticed lol. Well im very happy you finally decided to come clean, either way this goes, north or south, it'll feel alot better having it off your chest. If they accept it, of course you'll feel good, but even if they don't, at least now you know you've tried and can do nothing more but move on.

The best of luck and my sincere wishes.(*hug*)

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Please let us know as soon as you hear anything Lorenz. I'm sure it will be fine, but I know this waiting can be really stressful.

9. tired_of_lying411

The way I have just started thinking about it is that Id rather tell them and risk them hating me then never tell them at all, to me, being honest and hated is better than loved while hiding somehting, it really means they dont love the REAL you.

This is probably a dumb realisation that EVERYONE else has already made, but oh well. Its just different if your living under the same roof as the person you need to tell, if THEY hated you, hiding it may have been easier, but I simply cant wait 3 more years to tell my dad, so Il have to risk it.

Good Luck lorenz.

10. LorenzG1950

Good news!

I finally got up the nerve to call my sister after I hadn’t heard anything in more than a month. Good thing I did. Her original reply got lost in cyberspace while my email was being routed to a different pc (my pc was being repaired). It was a big relief to find out that they are ok with me being gay. I haven’t heard from my brother yet but then I didn’t expect him to be overjoyed. One of my nieces and her husband also gave me their support and wished I had known sooner “so I could have achieved a greater level of happiness sooner”. Here is an excerpt from what my sister wrote:

“Dear Lorenz, I got your phone call and your letter. It took me a while, to take it all in what you said in your letter. What have you been drinking or smoking lately? Did you fall on your head or are you in your change of life? You did shock me, but what ever it is you feel, it is OK with me. You are my dear brother and I love you. That will never change.”

What more can I ask for? In a little more than 6 months, I’m out to almost everyone who matters, with the exception of some folks at work who really don’t need to know. My boss will probably find out from me through some slip of the tongue or some day when I’m feeling courageous. I’ve already decided I’m not going to lie if the subject comes up.

All I can say is that it feels really great to have the support of your family and friends, and the folks here at EC. I only wish everyone’s relatives and friends were as tolerant as mine have been.(!) (!) (!)

Lorenz:icon_bigg

11. tired_of_lying411

YAY!!! im really happy for you.

12. LorenzG1950

Thanks! It's been going so well that I'm beginning to think it's just a dream. Yesterday I came out to 3 more of my old friends via email (2 male and 1 female) all hetero. I just sent them the same letter I sent my family and the response was super positive. Here is what Diana wrote:icon_redf :

Dear Lorenz,
    this is a really beautiful letter, and to be honest - the biggest surprise was not the news, but your very warm and caring attitude towards your family. In this letter you use words and phrases full of emotion and love - you certainly usually don't show it. I only wanted to tell you, how glad I am that finally you too have all those big feelings, the ones no one can really describe, just enjoy.

I am looking forward to seeing you - I wish you lots of love, fun, exciting people and tumultuous feelings,

hugs
    Diana

My friend Phil wrote back:

Hi Lorenz,

I’m so happy to feel and truly believe that you’ve finally found a meaningful direction in your life. I’m not in the least bit surprised; in fact I’m proud of you for finally recognizing the thing that adds extreme value and meaning to you as a person.

Love, family, and friends – that’s what life is about! Everything else is simply a distraction.

Yep, a beer and visit would be fun.

Cheers - Philip

For me, this proves that good friends will accept you the way you are:grin: .

13. Micah

Aww that's really awesome Lorenz :slight_smile: I'm seriously so happy for you.

14. TriBi

^ Yup - ditto for me.

I'm really happy for you that it all went so well. :slight_smile: