1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To My Parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by IAmAwkward, Oct 21, 2012.

1. IAmAwkward

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, my parents actually talked to me this morning about my coming out. Good news, they did not kick me out or totally freak out. Bad news, they told me I am confused. Yeah, they said it. :bang:

Well, first, they said that I dropped a bombshell on them. Which I did, but I would have had to anyway. And then they asked how long I had been thinking about it. (Yes, it. They avoided using the word transgender the whole time.) I didn't really have an answer to that. I mean, I dunno when the thought first popped into my head. A while ago, at least a few years. Then, they asked why I thought I was trans. Again, how do I answer that? There will be a way for me to put into words they understand how I feel about being trans, because they have never been there. Then, my mom said that being attracted to gay guys doesn't make me one. I had no idea how to respond to that. Who I am attracted to was not a deciding factor.

After that, they talked about me being confused and not actually a guy, but a unique girl. I honestly felt like my heart just feel apart that. What the :***:? Then my dad started going on about the :***: people who are trans have to go through. Which I already knew. It was like they thought I just decided one day to be trans, and didn't actually look into it. The whole time I couldn't verbalize my thoughts, because they just kept talking. It was really bad.

On the bright side, they are going to get me counselling (With a legit therapist.), which is good I guess.

2. Sanssouci

First of all, I'd say congratulations on coming out. I'm dreading coming out as gay to my parents, and I really appreciate the extra stress on people who are transgendered. It's really unfair.

Secondly, I think your parents are just in one of the typical stages of the process parents go through with this. I wouldn't be too worried about that, and I'm afraid you just have to be patient with the insensitive stuff they come out with (they probably have no idea how offensive what they're saying is).

Finally, if I was you I'd go to the counselling sessions as long as it was with a legit therapist. However, and get others opinions on this because I'm just not qualified/experienced, I'd suggest that you request they match you session-for-session.

3. The Queen Bee

Dude (I'm assuming you want to be addressed that way given that you're FtM)!

It must be very frustrating; but you must remember that they're trying to understand.
    My parents took some time to be to say the word "gay" or "lesbian" in front of me, whether or not they were talking about me.
    It's just the way things are.

Keep in mind that at least they're being supportive about it... even when they don't quite understand it (nor that they ever will).
    Go to the therapist. My mother suggested therapy when I came out to my parents (because you know, I am/was "confused" *rolls eyes*) and it's annoying; but a good therapist might help you to put things into perspective.
    I started going because my sister insisted me... but I ended up adoring the guy. I mean he helped me out with my trichotillomania and onychophagia. So, it was supposed to be "conversion therapy" but it ended up being for my OCD. Big deal... It was a good thing.

I'd honestly suggest that you tell your parent to join you in therapy... at least for a couple of sessions. Having a professional talking to them about being Trans might help them understand that this is not a "phase" that will wear out.
    You might want to go to a couple of sessions before to find out if he's the right shrink for you (LGBTQ friendly, understands/especialized in dysphoria and the sort) and then, tell your parents you want them to join you.

Best of luck, dude!
    You did it!!
    You're out and about. :slight_smile: