1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I highly recommend taking the step I took!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Fisnou, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Fisnou

I made a deal with my therapist that I would do something brave, something that would involve meeting LGBT people. So I decided to go to this lesbian support group (called Lesbian Open House - they're on in Sydney and other states too). I cancelled the things I had on that night, I planned on how to get there and everything, ensuring that I would go no matter what. And so I did.

I was scared shitless on my way there but then when I finally arrived at the meeting, it wasn't so bad after all. I was early so there were only about 6 people, most of them being older women. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all, rather it felt surreal being surrounded by lesbians - most of which actually looked like stereotypical lesbians! In the end, about 20 people came. The lights were dimmed then the facilitator started the discussion, introductions first then the topic of the week. You could skip your turn if you didn't want to say anything. It was great hearing everyone's opinions. Then we went to a nearby pub for a drink. I made friends with a couple of girls my age.

I feel so proud that I went - it was something I had put off for a long time. Now that I've taken that step, I feel like I've finally got a foot in the door, in the "gay world", and that a new world of opportunities is opening up. :icon_wink Now I'll have gay friends with whom I can be myself (openly gay) and do gay stuff. It's great. It's like being able to talk a foreign language you've learned but that you never had the opportunity to speak. Suddenly you meet people who speak the same language as you. For the first time ever, I understood how one could be proud to be gay. It's because you feel pride when you're part of a community and feel a sense of belonging. I felt that sense of belonging.

So yeah, i.e. I strongly recommend a LGBT support group, even if it scares you. You'll realize that they're called "support groups" for a reason - to support you :icon_bigg

2. jimL

That's a great story......congratulations on that big step. I had much the same experience when I went to my first gay group meeting. It was like being able to speak a different language. (!)(!)(!)

3. Ljssussex

This is probably exactly what I need... However all the support groups near me seemed to be aimed at up to 26 years old which seems to rule me out as older.

Would love to hear of any support groups like this in the UK

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad to hear that you had a good time! LGBT groups can be really scary to go to at first, but they are totally worth it!

5. jaysuss

That is awesome! I myself want to meet others like me but at the same time i feel like I will be singled out if I do something like that(Don't ask why cause idk its just my brain).

6. madi

To my knowledge we don't have anything like this near me which is a shame....I live in a very small town. The closest thing I have is the GSA at my high school. Most of the people in the club are straight, but it is nice to have a place where I know everyone will accept me for who I am.
    I am going to search for a support group though because it would be so helpful. EC helps, but it is not the same as talking in-person.

7. Crassus

Crassus Guest

Good for you. I almost went to my school's GSA meeting tonight, but I chickened out at the last minute.

8. Gekko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, that sounds fantastic!
    I would love to assist to a LGBT support group, but I don't know any near me. I know there are some in my country, but it is impossible (at least for me, I've tried) to get information about them unless I go to a pride parade, which is to much for me since I am still closeted to most people.

I like your example about the foreign languaje, I have had the oportunity of going to an english speaking country to practice my english a little, so I can imagine that feeling, it's awesome!

9. Valarie

Valarie Guest

I would say an LGBT group would help a lot

I thought I wouldn't need to at first
    but after I went once I don't want to stop going
    its also a great place for advice and support

10. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Wow that's such a great story! I'm so glad it was such a positive experience for you!

11. Neutrality

It really is a good idea, I'm the president of my colleges GSA and we have a ton of fun =)

12. Lark

Lark Guest

That sounds great! I have looked up stuff like this around where I live (we don't have anything like a GSA at my school) but unfortunately my parents wouldn't let me go anywhere without knowing where I am going first, making it kind of impossible for me to go. :L

Glad you had such a good time! You should definitely keep going :slight_smile: