1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by IAmAwkward, Oct 23, 2012.

1. IAmAwkward

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So.....This post is just me, probably rambling, about the parts of my life that lead me to 'come out' to myself and realize I am transgender. Partly to help me get thoughts down in order to better explain them, partly to help other understand more about transgender people.

There are a lot of things in my mind that stand out about my early childhood. I used to want to play with more 'boyish' things, like cars and trucks, then more 'girlish' things, like Barbies and dolls. I hated Barbies. I wanted to go out and play with the boys. You know, run around in the mud, roughhouse, play with bugs, etc, things girl normally didn't do. When I played pretend with other kids, I either played a guy or, normally this, because the other kids said I was a girl so I had to play one, a girl who took on sterotipcally masculine roles. I also imagined that I was boy in my dreams and day dreams. I used to wish that I would wake up as a boy.

I never liked girly clothes, the kind with frills and pink and cute pictures on the front. My mom normally picked clothes out for me, and she always chose those, and I hated it. When I could pick out my own, I normally wore jeans and a t-shirt or sweater. I never wore dresses or skirts. I just hated them with a passion. Still do.

I normally hung out with guys when I was younger. I just understood them better. My friend group was almost entirely guys. I just didn't fit in with girls. And, when I was younger, this was fine. But then I hit elementary school.

Elementary school. Oh, elementary school. How I don't miss thee. Once I went there, I learned most girls didn't act like I did. And they saw that I didn't. So, I was bullied. I got treated like a leper. No one wanted to play with me or be my partner. They didn't even go near me. It was like I had a disease. Around first grade, I put everything together and saw it was how I behaved that made them do it. And so, I became very ashamed of myself and tried to act more girly. Of course, this lead to me having lower self-esteem, witch got me more bullied.

And then I moved to another state in fifth grade. Here, I was treated a bit better. A bit of loaner, because of how I was treated before, but a bit better. And here, I realized that girls had a tangled, awkward way of interacting. It was also here I realized I didn't understand other girls at all. They would gossip and talk behind each other's backs and do all that normal girl stuff most girls understand. And there I was, with no freaking clue what to do. I normally just stayed out of it.

Also, I never understood what they talked about. It was all, 'guys, blah, blah, make-up, blah, blah, blah, gossip.' I never understood make-up or fashion or their taste in annoying pop music.

And then I reached middle school, where I made friends that I understood better, and didn't have to know about fashion or diets or anything. However, I still saw other girls talking about it, and my friends did too, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't tell the difference between types of mascara or blush. I never even wore make-up.

Also, around this time, my gender dysphoria went into full bloom. I went to a secondary school and was around high school, done with puberty guys. I wasn't jealous of them, per say, but I hated being around them because it made me so.......bad. I also started feeling rather isolated and confused. During 8th grade, I started withdrawing from things I enjoyed, and stopped paying attention in school. My grades feel, and I felt isolated from my friends. I also felt like I was hiding something, and was always nervous. I felt more uncomfortable with my body then ever before, which is saying something because I never felt ok with my body. I avoided mirrors and hated the way I looked.

And then, just before school started again, I realized that I was transgender. I felt better. Before, I felt listless and tired and not ok with things. And when I finally realized that I was transgender, I was didn't. I had more energy, wanted to do things again. I just felt better in general.

So....that's it, I guess. It's not everything, but the main things. Everything would take WAY too long.

2. Haley M

Haley M Guest

That's great that you Admitted it to yourself! I myself had similar feelings growing up so I can relate a little bit! If you ever need to talk you can always reach out to anyone here. Myself included.

3. SkyColours38

Congratulations on your realisation and good luck with telling people! Even if people have bad reactions (and I'm sorry to say that probably a few people will) just remember how much more yourself you feel and you'll know it's worth it. The people who accept you are the only ones you want as friends anyway! Good luck!