1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"i know"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ameliawesome, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ameliawesome

The other day my mom said something (in reference to something I can't specifically remember): "I know more than you think I know." It wasn't meant to be anything negative, my mom is not homophobic or anything like that, there was just something about the way she said it that made me feel like the comment was also a way of her saying she knows I'm gay. Honestly, I'd be surprised if she didn't know, she does have pretty good gaydar, but even though I am not hiding my sexuality I don't particularly want to discuss it with my family. But I do feel like it'd be a relief if my mom were to say "I know you're gay" like it's no big deal, because to me it shouldn't be a big deal. I feel like I've missed several opportunities to talk about it, but do I need to? I don't feel like I need to, but maybe I want to, I just don't know why. But but but, could I have used the word "but" more in this post? Haha I can't stop flipflopping between wanting to talk about everything with my mom and wanting to make sure my gayness is no big deal.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might mean she knows, its difficult to tell. From what you have written, it sounds to me like you want your Mum to know you are gay, but you dont really want to talk to her about it. So if you could guarentee that the conversation would go no further than 'Mum i'm gay', or Mum: 'I know you are gay'. Then you would probably go for that.

3. ameliawesome

i just don't want it to be like an announcement, ya know? if she were to ask me which male celebrity i have a crush on, i might say something like "you know i'm gay, right?" but i don't think she'd ever ask me a question like that because i think she knows better, lol. then again, i might not say it outright anyway. or like when we were assembling my nephew's crib and she said "something here isn't straight..." i so badly wanted to say "it's me."

4. Alan Lewrie

I still get the feeling the only reason my parents had a second child is because they weren't very sure I'd give them grandchildren. A realisation that has been creeping out from the back of my head for years, even more so because now that I'm an adult I remember all those unguarded innocent things a child can do that would make parents think their kid is gay.

And now my unwed, much younger, brother got his first and only girlfriend knocked up, so yeah, I guess that worked out.

In any case, it sounds like--from what you've related--she may want you to acknowledge it with her. Takes this all with a grain of salt, and don't come out because of what other people want, it needs to be your decision.

Oh man, :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap, that would have been awesome.

#4 Alan Lewrie, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  5. ameliawesome

ahahaha right?! i might have missed a hilarious opportunity there, but my mom and i are always laughing together so there will be other moments like that one i'm sure.

the grandchildren thing was such a stress on me because my mom has always talked about how much she wants grandchildren, and i wasn't so sure i could ever give her any, but then my younger sister had a baby and it was a weird sort of relief. you're right, if she is baiting me to say something then i shouldn't feel pressured to take the bait. i'll probably keep waiting for her to call me out, or i'll take advantage of the next opportunity to make a not-straight joke.

6. Lark

Lark Guest

Get out of my head, you!

This is exactly what I want to do-I really want to talk to her about it, but make sure the conversation is short and to the point about it. I almost wish my mum would ask me who my crush is or something, but like yours, she know better, lol.

7. Colours

It's indeed difficult to tell. It's likely to be just because you're thinking so much about it that you relate what she said to you being gay. On the other hand, sure, it could be a hint.

My parents used to always say 'Your mother knows and sees everything' (meaning, about me) but she was surprised as fuck when I told her I had a boyfriend, even though my father had told her multiple times that he thought me and my boyfriend were more than just friends. I could tell from her facial expression that she did not know or suspect it from me, I've never seen her look that surprised in my life.

You see, I don't know how you and your mother get along or what her views are on homosexuality. If you can pull it off to just bring it in a joking way, that would be great.