1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too young?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by loganjay12, Oct 25, 2012.

1. loganjay12

loganjay12 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I came out to my mom as transgender. Which is something i've known and felt for a pretty long time. And she told me that I'm too young to be making these life altering decisions and statements (I'm 15. She told me that i may be feeling it now but i probably wont feel the same way when I'm 17 or 18. I know I'm trans. It doesn't really matter what age i figured this out, right?

Sooo. Anyone have any advice for me? Should I just leave it be or tell her how it is?

I don't know what to do. :tantrum:

2. spectrumsigner

I came out at 12 to my family and close friends, and 14 to the world. Some people don't come out until they're 40. The right time for you is the right time for you, and nobody but you can define what that means.

3. loganjay12

loganjay12 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you :slight_smile:

That's what I was thinking. I mean, it seemed right when I was saying it, but after I sorta second guessed it.

4. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you're too young to decide that, is completely up to you.

I've seen or heard of people who went through the whole process of transexualism before 15 years old. I envy them for accepting themselves so early. It took me 19 years just to accept myself. And it will take me more years to even start the whole process.

So, you may be young, but too young can only be said if you hurried the decision. If you took your time, and after that came out with the only answer you can find, then you're not young anymore.

Specialy if you accepted yourself, it means you took already the choice. If that's true, then it doesn't matter how many time will pass, you wil not change.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are probably two things going on: Your mom genuinely hoping that it isn't true, and your mom not having a lot of awareness about the issue.

Why don't you see if you and your mom could go to a PFLAG meeting together, just to explore. Tell her you're willing to talk about and learn more about this, and she can go and talk to other parents. It might be good for both of you to understand what it means and what, and when, steps to take next.

6. loganjay12

loganjay12 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Alright yeah I'll check that out. Thanks :slight_smile:

7. JakeHas

Finally, I found someone active that is roughly the same age as me! But in all seriousness, everyone here is right. I accept myself fully now, I've made the decision, and I know who I am. I am only 14. Some do tell me I'm too young, and I just tell them to step in my shoes. Age doesn't really matter (unless of course, you're like 10...) as long as you can accept yourself no matter what anyone else says, you aren't too young for anything!

8. jimL

Be patient......she needs a little time to process this life changing information. Hopefully she will be accepting is a short while. Good luck

9. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I'm going to be honest, I think you're too young. But not because you don't know yet. I totally believe you. But our society doesn't really support it. And she won't believe you. In fact, no one straight will believe you. So even though 15 SHOULDN'T be too young, it is.

10. JakeHas

Honestly, I disagree with you. I don't think it is too young. I know people who came out at ages 15, at the lowest, even 13! People are more accepting and believing depending on where you live most of the time. How the community around you is on the subject. The world has gotten a bit better with acceptance of these types of situations. I'm sure almost everyone you may tell will believe you at whatever age. (Of course it still depends if the community you live in is homo-phobic or not, and how much) You aren't too young Loganjay, all that matters at this time is if you accept yourself enough to trust that others around you will believe. And I'm sure they will.

11. theskywreck

You're never too young to know your own feelings! :slight_smile:

12. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

You're not too young to figure out who are. Some people wait their whole lives to do that. You already have a head start! :slight_smile:

13. Jim

Jim

Most transgendered people feel that way from birth/ a very young age, so if you don't feel too young to feel that way, you're not too young at all. It took me 17 years to realise, some people it takes 70 years to realise (not kidding, it can take that long).

14. jvn95

I really don't think you are too young. I wish I came out when I was your age.

I think you made the right choice by putting it out there. Even if your mom isn't very accepting right at the moment, over time it will sink in and I think she will accept you.

15. flymetothemoon

Keep in mind that you have been thinking about this and trying to figure out how you identify for quite a while, so you have suspected something like this coming. For her, it may be a complete surprise and she may not realize that this isn't coming suddenly out of nowhere. You could try going to a PFLAG meeting with her or even just sitting her down and explaining to her that you understand her concern/questions about if you are too young to know but you want her to know that you have known for x amount of time/have felt this way for x amount of time, etc. so she realizes this isn't something you are just saying lightly.