1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my sister and had an interesting long talk.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by FashionDisaster, Oct 30, 2012.

1. FashionDisaster

With thanksgiving nearing, I knew it was going to be pretty hard being at home. So I decided to come out to my third sister today.

I chose her because, besides us having always had the most in common, she had tried to come out to our parents several years ago. I still remember that night and how if my mom hadn't stopped him, my dad would have beat her. Instead he broke a chair and punched a hole through a wall. She actually cut off contact with my family for about three years before being allowed back home. Afterwards though, everyone was basically just suppose to pretend that she had never said it when around our parents. Our dad barely tolerates her presence. He has said he considers her our mother's child and in no way his. You can see why even though I'm not out to them, going home will be hard.

We ended up spending a good two hours on the phone talking to each other about our childhood and growing up. She told me about how she accepted she was gay and how what happened with our parents ended up making her again try to be straight until fairly recently actually. I in turn told her about my journey so far and my fears of telling our parents.

It feels really good to finally be out to someone in my family. I knew she would understand so it wasn't the hardest thing to do, but it does mean that I'm one step closer to being ready to deal with my parents.

2. AlexisAnne

That's a great step and, even if it wasn't the hardest thing to do, an important one. I've been fortunate with the family members I told (haven't said word one to my dad about anything yet) so I can only imagine how difficult it was watching him treat your sister like that. And I understand why going home would be difficult. At least you have her to talk to and confide in now though. Congrats on that and good luck in the future.