1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And another one down.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Adamantium, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Adamantium

Adamantium Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So last night when leaving class (oh, the joys of graduate school) I was talking to one of my friends. He's known me for the past two years of our Master's work and we're good friends for two guys who don't socialize outside of our academia. Anyway, I decided I needed to come out to him and I knew it would go fine since he's gay, too, but it was still nerve-racking for me.

We were standing at the end of one of the halls near a stairwell and I broached the subject by asking him how he deals with being a gay man in the south. After he answered that question, I just told him: I said, "You know...I had a boyfriend before, back in high school, and after I was outed my family didn't take it well. It took me almost a decade to get back to this point again. I need to say it. I'm gay."

He acted genuinely surprised and we talked a few more minutes. Then he gave me this big hug and told me he would always be by my side when I needed him and wished me the best with my continuing journey.

That, my EC friends, is a true friend.

2. AlexisAnne

Congrats on coming out to him. You're friend sounds like a great guy. As far as being nervous even though you already knew he was gay and would not have a problem with you, it's natural. When we reveal a deep part of ourselves, justified or not, there's always some anxiety that's going to come with that.

I've very happy for you :slight_smile:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is hard to let go and just to talk about oneself, even if the other person is gay. You are trying to share something very personal and trying to be open about it.

It's great that you came out to him and that he offered to be by your side. Happy for you! Congratulations! :slight_smile: