1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The crazy month of October..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BradThePug, Oct 31, 2012.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So.. in October I came out to a ton of people. I really wasn't expecting to, but it just kinda happened.

It started on national coming out day. I sent the letter via facebook PM that I had written 2 months ago to my former youth director/second cousin. He has still not responded to me and he refuses to have any contact with me. (Honestly, this did not surprise me at all.)

Also, on national coming out day, we had a pride meeting. At the meeting, we had a opportunity to walk through the closet doors and come out. So, I went up intending to tell the story of how I came out as gay. Well I went up there and ended up saying that I was pangender and gay. I surprised myself a bit there.. but it went really well. The third thing that happened on national coming out day was that I posted a status saying "happy national coming out day". Well, my aunt responded with "is this your announcement to the family? We still love you!" So, I ended up PMing her and telling her that I am gay.

Well, fast forward a bit to the end of the month. Recently, I came out to some people that I was talking to in my residence hall's lounge. They were awesome about it. I told them that I was both genderqueer (I use this term sometimes too.. most people do not know what pangender is..) and gay. They asked me the common questions like "how did you know", but I see that as a opportunity to educate people.

Last week, I sent one of my facebook friends a PM complaining about how my former youth director (who she still talks to) wouldn't talk to me. I came out to her by telling the story of how my former youth director won't talk to me. I guess that a couple of my friends had already told her.

A couple days ago, I received an email from my LGBT studies advisor saying that she would like me to sign up for a class where they are making a documentary and are also writing psychology and sociology papers for publication. I'm pretty excited about this.. I've never been offered anything like this before.

And... finally, I was giving a presentation today in my college writing 2 class about gender neutral dorms. In the process of giving the presentation, I accidentally outed myself to the whole class because I was telling them about my experience with a homophobic roommate. Everybody came up after the presentation and said that I did a really good job.

So, as you can see, I've had a pretty crazy month. If you would've told me that I would be writing all of this at the beginning of the month, I would have laughed at you...

So, for those who are getting ready to come out, or thinking of coming out or anything of that sort, it gets easier with time. Half of my coming out moments this month were unplanned.. they just kinda happened. You may think that you can't do it, (I know that there were many times where I thought that I couldn't muster the strength to say the words or hit the send button) but you can do it!

2. jaysuss

Congratulations! I'm glad so many things went well for you. May your strength and courage be in us all.

3. xXPsychedelicXx

Wow! Your courage inspires me. I'm glad it all went well!

4. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congradulations, and good luck with your youth directer.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to resurrect this thread... but I received a response from my former youth director. He said

I'm glad that he finally responded! I thought that he would have a more angry response than this, so I'm glad that it turned out this way.