1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to tell my dad :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by sunnygirl, Nov 1, 2012.

1. sunnygirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm just freaking out right now. I wasn't able to get enough sleep because I am planning to tell my dad either today or tomorrow. Kind of bothered. I don't want to disappoint him and I don't want him to feel bad or anything. This is such a huge risk because we live in the same house and I don't want any awkwardness between my family and I. On the other hand, I know that i'd have to deal with this eventually so might as well get this thing over with already. :|

2. AlexisAnne

I hope all goes well. Telling people, especially our families, is extremely difficult and it's normal for you to be freaking out right now. If you feel it's time and you're as ready as your going to be then that's it. It's time. I wish you nothing but luck Sunny. Living in the same house is the same reason I haven't said anything to my dad. I have extremely good reason to believe that that coming out is going to be nothing short of disastrous though, through things that he's said and done.

Many parents become very supportive of their children after a revelation like this though, so I'm choosing to believe that it's going to go well for you :slight_smile: I know what it's like to just want to get it over with. On a more pleasant note, when I told my mother she was extremely supportive and just wanted to make sure that I'm happy. We're closer than ever now :slight_smile:

Let us know how it goes, and if it takes a day or two to build up that courage, don't let it bother you. It takes a lot to do what you're planning on doing, and you should be proud of the fact that you feel ready :slight_smile:

3. Kat kanu

you can do it !!!!

4. Tibbs90

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    After spending so many years fighting my issues rather than accepting myself, I know that this is something that although very difficult, will help you through your life. Be proud to be yourself, not what others want you to be. Good luck.

5. FishMan27

Best of luck! I totally freaked out, too, when I came out to my parents. I had to write them a letter because I choked every time I tried telling them. It was kind of awkward at first, but it was probably the best thing I've ever done for my mental sanity! lol Now, I can talk to my parents about being gay, and it feels so good! :slight_smile:

You can do it!

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

You can do it!!!! I just came out to my parents on Halloween, and even though it was the scariest thing ever, it turned out really well.
    I'm sure it will work out for you! And if you do end up coming out, just imagine how good it will feel to not have to hide who you are anymore.
    And even if you don't end up coming out to him, it may not be your time to come out just yet. I'm just saying that if you're not fully comfortable yet, don't force it.
    But good luck on everything, and I'm sure you can do it!! :slight_smile:

7. sunnygirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi guys! Thank you soooo much for all the encouragement! Now, I could really appreciate what kind of community this is - we support each other. I am so happy! I finally made it. Dad was able to take it so lightly and was not that surprised to think that I have dated men my entire life! However, he thinks that this is just a phase and I might just be testing the waters. He does not approve but he said I should use my head over my heart so I won't regret my decisions in the end. He is thinking about mine and my family's reputation. Well the thing is I am very happy with my relationship right now. I am damn proud of my relationship. I have never felt this my entire life. I guess my dad's still in denial about it. :slight_smile: but I'm so happy I made it! Yey! THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH! (!)