1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my mom!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Words, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Words

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    AHHH!!! I can't believe what I just did!

I sat down beside her while she watched TV for like 15 mins, shaking, knowing what I had to do. Finally I stood up, walked around a little, and sat down again. (This really helped in getting me to just DO IT.)

"Mom..." I said. And there really was a .... Long pause. She knew I had something to say.
    "I'm gay" I somehow got out. How I have no idea, but I did!

And she proceeded to tell me how she would still love me no matter what and how it won't change anything. She asked me how I was sure, and whether I'd had "sexual relations with girls" or "sexual relations with boys" and whether my friends were gay. I told her no in all cases. She didn't understand how I knew. I told her that it just wouldn't "feel right" to be with a girl like it would to be with a guy. Ultimately, it was pretty awkward and she didn't really understand. But I'm sure she will with time.

I escaped when my dad, brother, and his friend came downstairs. Whew! I'm sure she'll be back to talk to me about it soon enough. Glad that's over with!

2. Words

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well an update!

Turns out my mom told my dad, which is kinda not good with our privacy and stuff but I'm happy because it worked out great.

He came in and said "we're here for you" and "it must have been hard to live with" and all that. He was so much more understanding than I thought he would be. He still didn't understand how I knew, but he was great still.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Congratulations! This seems to be a great day for successful coming outs here today!

Have a look at the list of PFLAG publications here http://www.pflag.org/Book_Catalog.publications.0.html. You can download and print them, or you could send a PM to Becky (beckyg) and ask her to post some to you, for your mum and dad. I think "Our Daughters and Sons" would help to answer the questions and concerns. It sounds like she is fine with the situation but is struggling due to lack of knowledge. That book should fill that gap.

4. CelebrityHead

That's fantastic!! Well done! With support from your parents, there's no stopping you now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations! Sounds like it went very well. I think when parents know you haven't had sexual relations, they are still in that denial stage and they hang on to a glimmer of hope that you really can't be sure. You might help them to ask them how long they knew they were attracted to the opposite sex before they had sexual relations.

Oh and take Paul's suggestion about the PFLAG publications or PM me with your address and I will be happy to mail them to you.

6. biisme

that's great!!!! congratulations!

7. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's a good story...congratulations. Your parents seem OK and supportive about it.

8. Psychedelic Bookmarks

congratulations! maybe you could try asking them if they knew they liked each other before they had had sex. and then explain that it's the same for gay people. anyway, i really hope everything continues positively for you! :grin:

9. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Great news!

10. nickmc

Hey that's fantastic! It's such a big step and I bet it feels like such a weight off your shoulders now! Congrats!

11. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. Étoile

(&&&) I know it must feel like a relief for that to be off your shoulder, huh?

13. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great! Coming out to your mom is really hard and it was a bit unexpected that she told your dad immediately, but I'm glad it's all good in the end! Congrats!! :thumbsup:

14. Astaroth

Congrats! It sounds like you'll do just fine. Do take Becky up on her advice for PFLAG stuff. At this point, without having previous relationships, it's about the only thing that can help prove it to them kindly, and it also has a wealth of information they might want to know but are afraid to ask.

15. mattyboo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations=]
    good job!
    proud of u=]

16. Nodnarb

Congrats!!!

17. Wolfbane

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That is pretty nice. Im glad that you came out to them, and it sounds like not only are you less stressed out, but it strengthened your bond w/ your parents. Best of luck to you.