1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out of My Nan

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Danielle, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Danielle

Danielle Guest

So, the title explains it all.

I went around to my nans house today and sat her down and told her about me being transgender and wanting a sex change and that I consider myself to be a lesbian. She said she still loves me and that nothing that I do could make her not love me.

I honestly couldn't believe it. My nan is the most old fashioned conservative person I know and she just accepted me straight away. I honestly thought she was going to tell me to leave and never come back.

I am going back around to her house tomorrow to talk about it some more but I can't believe it. I spent the whole car ride home home speechless, my nan is the last person I ever thought would accept having a GLB grandchild let alone a Transgender grandchild.

The whole thing has kind of taught me to never judge what someones reaction will be. I have pretty much come out to my whole family now and I am making sure that I come out to the rest of the family ASAP.

2. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    Woah that's awesome!!! Congrats hun :slight_smile: happy for u!

3. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Thanks and i just realised the title of this thread and it is really gross.

4. When I came out to my grandmother as trans, I also wasn't expecting acceptance, but fortunately, I was wrong. Anyway, congrats! :icon_bigg I'm glad everything went well.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your grandmother! :slight_smile:

6. AlexisAnne

Congrats on coming out to your grandmother. I'm glad to hear it went so well. I know what you mean about judging how others might react. I'm judging my father's potential reaction to being Trans (and Bi for that matter) pretty harshly right now, with good reason though. Still, as much as I doubt it, there's still that little strand of hope that he might surprise me like your grandmother surprised you.

I'm really glad that it went well for you, and wish you really good luck in coming out to the few remaining members of your family. :slight_smile: