1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the hell should I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AAE, Nov 3, 2012.

1. AAE

AAE Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I have recently told a few people that I am gay, I have known for a while and the reception has been disbelief for some, not for others.
    I am a guy who loves sports, cars and pretty much anything that is stereotypically masculine (this isn't me trying to distance myself from my orientation, or reinforcing stereotypes, which are wrong, its background to the story.)
    Because I grew up as the youngest of 3 brothers, no sisters, no female cousins and with a large all male friend group who are all sportsmen, I do not fit any stereotypes and assertions that many people may have about gay people. This isn't really a problem, in fact, its good as its another middle finger to the idea that all gay men have to have a penchant for musical theatre. When I came out a few weeks ago, the reception was the opposite to the one that I expected; my straight and very laddish male friends were cool with it, infact, I was expecting them to start assuming that I fancied them or something. But in my college, there is a fairly big LGBT scene, one which now hate me as they think that I cannot possibly be gay, I have been told that I am blatantly not gay and that me coming out is an obvious extended homophobic joke. I do not understand this! By assuming that one's sexuality or orientation has a direct effect on someone's personality and interests is in fact perpetrating a homophobic stereotype! This whole rant may seem like I am attacking femme men, which I am not at all, I just want advice. I don't know how I can convince them that I am gay aside from grabbing one of the (admittedly cute) gay guys around college and kissing them?
    Sorry again. Please do not think I am being homophobic, I'm just confused :icon_redf :help:

2. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL please forgive me for starting my answer with a 'lol' but I just think your post is so sweet! (I just write random LOLs I know...) Anyway, first of all, I admire you for not believing, nor using, stereotypes. It makes you a decent, open-minded person!
    Second, I would honestly go with the grabbing a cute one of them and kiss him but then, if you are in a sort of "movie" situation, that guy is more luckily to fall for you and then s**t happens, but I dunno, I'm not a good Oracle lol

Ok so. Honestly? They are the ones basing their opinion on awful stereotypes, not you. I would say ignore them, let them believe what they want, they are losing the opportunity to make a new great friend! Their loss. x

(On a completely different note: do you live in the USA? If yes, where the heck are the guys like you in the UK? lol)

3. AAE

AAE Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope, UK! :slight_smile: And lol x

---------- Post added 3rd Nov 2012 at 07:37 PM ----------

Thank you x

4. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :icon_bigg Ok, imma stop being creepy lol

Anyway, based on the fact that it's a british college it makes it easier for me to understand the "scene" and I can understand why they can't believe you are gay LOL I still think they are wrong! Luckily for us though, we have a new decent "member", you :eusa_danc

5. AAE

AAE Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I tend to avoid the performing arts department as they may form a lynch mob! Oh well, I feel like a tonne of bricks have been lifted from my shoulders and I couldn't care less about them!

6. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you, that's the way to go! :wink: Anyway, what city are we talking about? lol

7. AAE

AAE Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cambridge:slight_smile:

8. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, well I don't know the gay scene there, although I have been there so many times :\ Sorry I couldn't help more but I hope my comment was helpful (even a laugh of my stupidity is okay lol)

9. AAE

AAE Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ahaa, it's fine... I think I can find some way to forgive you lol :wink: