1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female Around Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AlexisAnne, Nov 4, 2012.

1. AlexisAnne

So, I have this "nerd" group that I hang out with. We get together every Saturday night to play boardgames, video games, and role playing games. Every other Saturday we hang out at a friend's who lives with his parents, and on the other Saturdays, we hang out at the home of a friend, which he owns and lives in alone. I'm definitely not ready to have this talk with my friend's parents, but I had a long discussion with my friends last night, and they've agreed to get behind me and make the adjustment to me being female on the nights that we're at the other friend's house.

I'm looking extremely forward to this, nervous as it's making me, and thought I'd share. It's another step in merging who I am with who everybody sees :slight_smile:

2. DhammaGamer

So exciting, and so scary I bet. Hopefully they are supportive. Are they men or women that you hang out with?

3. AlexisAnne

Men. And yes, exciting and scary covers it extremely well :slight_smile: They've been supportive of me so far. Hopefully it continues with this.

4. DhammaGamer

Three of my longest friends are male. They have known me since middle school and have maintained their friendship with me throughout my transition. No issues on the name. Some difficutlies with one friend regarding me wearing skirts, but otherwise they've all been totally chill about the whole thing. I think the number one factor that has helped me gain acceptance among those who knew me from before is unwavering confidence and unapologetic pride. I know who I am, and I am happy of who I am, and it shows in the way I communicate with people. They may have a hard time breaking old habits, but I genuinely believe that they are starting to view me the way I view myself. Good luck, hon.

5. AlexisAnne

Thank you. It's actually surprising to me the amount of confidence and certainty I've developed in myself over the last month. When I was talking to them I told them that a little down the line they aren't going to have a choice in the matter, that this is who I am and this is happening. It was hard to say, buy I told them that if they didn't feel like they could try and adjust, they may not want me around at all in the near future. It was hard to say, but it felt right.

6. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    That's awesome my friend :slight_smile: so happy for u that ur friends have ur back. It makes it that much easier to be around, it's gonna be different and maybe scary in the beginning but it's going to be worth it. I'm lucky to have a few supportive friends that I've come out to who have given me the *push* I need to finally be happy with myself. Like the night I fully accepted I am trans and actually seriously talked about transitioning to my close friend for the first time out loud she was so supportive, took me seriously and said I should just go for it.

7. Koan

Koan Guest

I admire your courage!

What a great step forward.

8. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I'm happy that you're friends are okay with this and that they are so supportive. It sounds like you have great friends! :slight_smile:

9. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

That's what true friends are all about. Helping each other throughout their lives :eusa_clap