1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I'm g--" "I KNEW IT!"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by everlongview, Nov 6, 2012.

1. everlongview

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The very first person I came out to [as bisexual, way back in the dark ages of denial] immediately started shrieking. "I KNEW IT! OH MY GOD I KNEW IT! Oh my god I'm so sorry this is such a terrible reaction this is horrible but I KNEW IT!!!!!!" and she seems to have set a precedent for the rest of my coming-out experience.

Last week I told a friend from work [inevitably another "I KNEW IT!"], and she continued to inform me that, apparently, at some point in the recent past, she ran into one of our regular customers at the grocery store. They were just chatting, y'know, grocery-related small talk, when APPARENTLY at some point in the middle of talking about SOUP, of all things, the lady's like, "I don't mean to pry, but...is Blue...?" [I have blue hair so half my customers call me Blue]. And my friend responded that she thought I was, but was too shy, to like, do anything about it necessarily. And the lady was cool about it, and all, but...

Yeah. Just in the middle of Giant Eagle, talking about soup and the sexuality of that cashier at the drugstore. Good lord.

[oh, and apparently one time my ultra-conservative grandmother asked my mom if I was "experimenting in the homosexual lifestyle." I kid you not, those words exactly.]

2. aeva

Were you surprised that so many people seemed to know already?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This isn't uncommon. People are absolutely convinced that they're effectively hiding it from everyone, and everyone on the planet knows, sometimes even before they do.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just be aware that, for some reason, you're rather obvious :slight_smile:

4. everlongview

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes! I didn't even know it for sure myself until this summer.

5. madi

Other people realized I'm bi before I did....Very odd how some people just know like that. Even when we ourselves are so unsure.

6. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    nerfnrkjenfl!!!! Everyone always says "I should've known..." or "I had a feeling..." when I come out to them!!! =o Only like two people were actually surprised!

These people have AMAZING Gaydar!!!!

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I originally came out as bi in my pride group. I came out as gay at the very end of last year.

I got the same reaction. It might not be the reaction that you were expecting, but at least it was not a negative reaction.

Congrats on coming out!

8. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Personally, I prefer that reaction to the blank stare followed by a "I understand". At least the "I knew it!!" makes you smile :slight_smile:

9. Crassus

Crassus Guest

I haven't come out to anyone yet, but I have a feeling that I will get the same reaction.

10. Pyrotactick

Soup and sexuality. One of the two is something I'm in love with, I'll leave you to figure it out, it's not what you think.

Yay! That's a cute story >w< I'm proud of you random person I met on the internet! :grin:DD

11. Valarie

Valarie Guest

so far everyone I've come out to has ".... ok, did not see that ... I support you"
    well that type of reaction, just not those exact words
    yeah, nobody has said I knew it or says they saw something, well the only one is my mom, but that was her noticing things and then dragging it out of me, though still took her awhile to understand that i was serious about it