1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to MANY while drunk

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by boyequal, Feb 10, 2008.

1. boyequal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I haven't been around in a long time, but when this happened, I thought of EC :slight_smile: It's a long read, but it's spell checked, paragraphed and punctuated.

Warning: It's preferred that this should rather not be tried at home, even though good outcomes can be expected.

At university I live in a res(idence)/boarding house/dormitory, whatever the equivalent would be. Basically, building with many rooms, a shared bathroom and kitchen on every floor, in every hall, housing around 250 men of which there are a few more (including ladies') on campus.

After our house had won the first years' concert, us seniors had a "little" party. Suffice to say, I do not drink much, if ever, until this night. All was going along quite smoothly, I was moving along with tipsy to extremely happy and now only a few scenes from that evening remain in my head.

The first of the events I remember was this girl asking me whether I was "batting for the other team" and, in my state of drunkenness, I said yes... It wasn't just us two talking, but there were many around. One friend stated that he wanted to ask me for quite a while already and that's the last I remember. (Well, I remember going back to my room and going to bed.)

The next morning nothing happened as I went home.

The day after that, things were quite confusing. Random guys would come up to me and congratulate me or say they've got respect for me. One of my friends called me over and we chatted. This is when I found out my secret was now out. (No wonder I got congratulated...) He said he was fine with it, nothing will change, same old. And also mentioned that during a conversation he had, this other guy said that I had the "biggest balls" (i.e. the bravest) to come out. Great...

Later that day, I spoke to one of my of my other friends (the one who wanted to ask me) and this is where my scandals really came to haunt me. Apparently a girl thought I was "hot" and her friend suggested to me that I should flirt a bit with her. As I was told, I just said: "I'm not into this figure," whilst motioning the typical female hourglass body, "I prefer the bigger things in life," showing 'big' with my hands. I think I turned several shades of red and ruby, with a hint of scarlet, when I heard this. He told me that I didn't just come out the closet, but burst out with a drunken fanfare.

So now the news of my gayness now started spreading. I'm not the first gay guy in res and certainly not the last, but it really felt weird knowing that others know!

A couple of days went on and nothing really changed (eek!). The conversation oftentimes turned to my gayness, but more as a matter of interest. More and more people told me it doesn't matter, some even offering me numbers of their other gay friends. It's now a week on and things are pretty much the same. Yes, the odd gay joke comes up, usually made by me. And, yes, it feels great on the one hand, but also bloody scary on the other.

I came out to my girl friends from the ladies' residences all of whom are fine with it. (When I do something, I tend not to stop.) So on campus, I'm now on "won't deny if asked" terms.

Now only my parents and some other friends remain. Oh, my roommate hasn't been around, so I'll probably have to tell him too.

The moral of the story: A gay guy can find support in a residence filled with men and not be shunned; I'm going to continue living as I always did. I do not suggest coming out when drunk, because you might not know who knows. But, I'm sort of glad it happened, and it's out now!

As a note, I don't think I would have come out if I wasn't coming out of my denial stage, thanks to EC :slight_smile:.

Ooh yeah! One girl told me I'm the "absolutely most extremely friendly person" (her words, translated) when I'm drunk.

Thanks!

PS: Heading off the change profile.

#1 boyequal, Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

wow thats a great story and sounded like you had fun at the same time (even if not remembered) lol...everyones positive reaction should help you muster the courage to tell your family when you feel you are ready to do so..:lol:

3. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, awesome!! Generally, coming out while being drunk might not be a good idea, but it seems that you were ready to do it, you just needed a little bit of extra courage, and alcohol is just great for that. :lol: Congrats! Just make sure you're not drunk when you come out to your parents :lol:

4. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    wow congratulations buddy, that sounds excellent. I suppose the drink helped that one a bit.

5. Astaroth

Well, that was entertaining! :lol: Congrats on coming out to so many people with great reactions!

6. TriBi

So...let's recap...
    1. Get drunk
    2. Come out with with a bang
    3. Forget everything you said
    4. Go to bed in a stupor
    5. Wake up remembering nothing, go home
    6. Come back to 'out' superhero status

Sounds easy...congrats!

7. SkyTears

Nice recap of the story for those to lazy to read it.

Anyways congrats that it went so well.

8. boyequal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nice recap, just had to grin! I always have to go overboard when writing...

Also remember one friend telling me that I was flirting with another (straight) guy. I was making comments on how it doesn't matter than we're just 2 years apart :rolleyes: and what not. At least he took it well and I didn't wake up with a black eye...

As for the parents, I don't think any amount of encouragement or positive reaction would make that easy. The religious factor... Some folks also wished me luck for when I do that.

Yeah, I'm still surprised at the reaction...

9. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratz!! That's one awesome way of coming out!

10. Alex89

Wow, went better than I was expecting as I read it!

Good luck with everything in the future!

11. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

:eusa_clap congrats :eusa_clap

12. CrimsonThunder

Well done, great read!

Good luck for the parents mate.

13. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Great story...good luck with your parents.

14. SpikySpice

Congrats

My friends use that method to come out, it's really effecting, get everybody drunk include yourself and coem out, it's the alcohol that speaks for yoruself

But sometiems peopel forget what happened last nigth when they wake up the next morning