1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out for the first time! I'm not alone anymore

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Censored, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Censored

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This Friday I decided to finally do it. I decided to tell one of my best girl friends, because she and I always understand each other and have really gotten close over the past 2 years. It was an incredibly difficult thing for me to do. We went and talked on a bluff overlooking the city in private. I was just looking down for several minutes, heart pounding, breathing fast, apologizing for taking so long to say anything. Then I just said it: "I'm gay."

She was shocked, but told me how she not only still loved me as one of her best friends but respected me even more for being so brave. For the next few minutes I was just crying in her arms, but for the first time in my life that I can remember I felt accepted, loved, and not alone in my struggles. I didn't know such a good feeling existed.

The funny part is she thought I was going to tell her I had feelings for her (which she did not share). But the biggest shocker was when she told me I was not alone...another one of my best friends had come out just a few months earlier! I had always kinda known about him, but knowing he was open about it made me feel a million times better. Apparently pretty much everyone knew accept me because they were worried I would not be accepting...oh the irony! We had a good laugh about that. But I still feel terrible that for some reason I come off as someone who would not support my friends' sexuality.

Anyway, after that I told one other girl, who is best friends with the girl I first told and also one of my closest friends. I also told the friend of mine who is gay that I completely accept him...because I am too. He was shocked, and we still haven't really talked about it.

Anyway, the weight is lifted, at least a little bit, now that 3 people know. There is no more deciding whether or not I will come out, now it is just when. There is a path to follow, and people who I know support me. And it makes me feel good about myself for the first time I can remember, and I want to thank this forums for helping me accept myself first. Otherwise, I don't know what I would have done.

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (*hug*) I'm so happy that you have such good friends!!! Including another member of the LGBTQ community! 3 down! :icon_wink

3. Censored

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks me too! And gay marriage passing in 3 states made me feel even more confident about hope for my future. I just have so many emotions going through me right now.

Also, the fact that pretty much all of my friends already accept my gay friend for who he is and still treat him like they always have means that they will probably do the same for me. I was so afraid about what people would think, and now I already know they will still be my friends. I am lucky to have friends like the ones I have.

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am too! Mine are also such a blessing and are so accepting! We're lucky lucky! :icon_bigg Having a gay friend is also very helpful, as you can share your stories/struggles in a way people over a computer cannot. :slight_smile:

5. AlexisAnne

Congratulations. I love that story and I'm so happy for you. It's a great feeling knowing you can be open and yourself around those people, doesn't it? Again, that's awesome :slight_smile:

6. Alan Lewrie

Congrats Censored! As AlexisAnne said, that was a wonderfully happy story. It's such a strange and new rush to come out isn't it? :thumbsup:

7. Censored

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is! Thanks everybody.

8. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! That sounds so great, I'm so glad it worked out for you and you have these great feelings! I hope they last! How funny that your friend is too. And I don't think it's a deal that you came off to them as someone who may not be accepting, I look alot different on the outside than how I feel so it can be tricky to judge someone.

Love from Kentucky!

9. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congrats! I hope as you start come out more, you get the same kind of reaction. Great Job and Good Luck.

10. Lewis

Well done :slight_smile: keep those accepting friends as close as possible!