1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to school counsellors

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by darkprincess, Nov 7, 2012.

1. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ok, I have been planning for weeks about what to do. Luckily I got a letter from one of my counsellors inviting me to a mental health program as I am a class captain. This have me a perfect opportunity to see the counsellors and not cause any suspicion among my friends. After spending a quarter of lunch trying to find her office, (I'm not so good with directions) I managed to find her office. I handed the form in and I was yelling inside my head to tell her but I was frightened and scared. I almost left when I managed to muster up some courage and ask her if I could talk to her about a problem. She told me to sit down and we shut the door. Still nervous I said I was facing a problem in my life. She went through the usual; family, study, friends, relationships and so on. Finally I said. "no, it's none of those, it's that I am a transsexual and I am finding it really hard." she stopped for a second to think and then replied that although she wasn't very experienced with sexual identity she would help me and now next week I have my first serious session. It turned out better than I expected, considering the fact I am attending a Catholic school. and due to the fact that I have not self harmed or thought about suicide she is obligated to keep it secret from my parents, students and teachers.

2. Robin

Well, it's good that you have someone to talk to about it with. It's better than nothing. Just be wary about school counselors. I've heard some interesting things about them sometimes, and I haven't had the best experiences myself, but hopefully you will. :slight_smile: Good luck!

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats, darkprincess. It's pretty much always safe to talk to a school counselor about these types of things. People go into that profession to help others.

4. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks, I know what you mean about be wary of them because some of my friends had to see them and weren't happy but I know that they can't do anything worse and the only way to deal with this is to see them.