1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out through paper, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by redsponges, Nov 10, 2012.

1. redsponges

I couldn't really think of any other way to come out to my parents. My dad is a when-it-suits-him jehovahs witness and a complete homophobe. I'm not going to even bother with him. My mum's a homophobe as well but just not as bad. The only way I have of expressing feelings/points of view is to write a poem about it. So I sat up one night and wrote one. I'll let you guys read the poem. Maybe it can be an inspiration to someone.

I have something to say...

I have to tell you something
    I need to tell you now and I know it will hurt
    I tried earlier but it didn't work
    I'm sure you've already guessed. Me and my guys shoes and checked shirts
    I've been thinking about this on and off for a while
    How strange, The thought of being with a guy doesn't make me smile
    Guys have never interested me
    Not at school, at home or on TV
    I've never seen a 'cute guy' in a crowd
    And when people talk about boys my head's in the clouds

For once I do not know what to say
    Except that I'm pretty sure I'm gay
    My suspicions were proven right when I went out with that guy
    I wasn't sure at first, I thought I was just nervous and shy
    But when he showed me his bits I was repulsed and felt sick
    Saying 'my boyfriend' out loud doesn't sound the way it should
    I cannot say it fluently
    I've tried and tried and wished that I could
    Now I've found that 'my girlfriend' comes out so easy and slick

I wasn't going to tell you until I had a girlfriend
    But your stupid homophobia has got to end
    Can you please stop slagging all the homos, the its and gays
    You keep on saying things and it's been gnawing at me for days
    I cannot see myself ever being attracted to men
    If you cannot accept this, that's fine then
    You asked me if I thought your relationship was wrong
    I said no, I didn't judge but you seem to hate gays and you won't budge

You've always told me to be myself and myself only
    I've shown you my true self because my head is too lonely
    I've said my bit and now it's your turn
    I know I never say it but I love you mum

If you can remember your poem or note or whatever please share it even if you don't think it's all that good. Just look at mine it's so silly in some bits. :icon_wink
    who uses the word slick?!

2. an0nchick

I share your pain. I am a baptized JW and my dad is an elder. I have lot to tell you, but please PM me. It's kinda long. (*hug*)

3. redsponges

I would if you weren't banned :l

4. MixedNutz

Wow. The reason I joined EC is because I was looking for other JWS that were in my situation.

Finally lol.

I'm also a baptized JW, father an elder and whole family in the "truth" although I moved out last jan and haven't been back since.

Either one of you can message me. I'm sure you as I do, have a lot to say.

5. The Queen Bee

Wow...
    This is rough.
    I hope the best for you guys.

6. spiderweb

spiderweb Guest

Very brave....all the best, and I hope your mom is taking it well :slight_smile:

7. redsponges

We had a nice long talk until 2:30am that night. It took her two minutes to read the poem and 3 hours for me to explain "Why" having to go into excruciating detail.
    Here are some highlights that play in my head constantly. "Imagine you are having sex with a girl,What can you do to her or her to you? Are you sure you would like that?"
    "You're just confused because you've no been with that many guys" :eusa_doh:
    "What's so wrong with a mans penis" :eusa_sick
    "You can't have any future with a girl, You can't have weans, and we're not going to let gays get married in scotland"
    Holy Satan it was horrible. By the end of it I felt as though I had had a dirty talk session with my own mother. I'm still squirming. And this was my mother who isn't religious just a homophobic racist!! My dad and his side of the family are all JW and my mums side are all die hard catholics!! :help: beer please! :beer:

8. firemaker13

I really liked the poem. I didnot come out on paper. I think that would be easier. I should my mom and dad, the person who i am, but they dont get it. i hope you still have a relationship with your parents... good luck and stay safe

9. redsponges

My dad and his side of the family are all JW and my mums side are all die hard catholics. My mum was raised as a catholic but gave up on religion years ago. My mum fought with EVERYONE to keep my brothers and I nondenominational at birth. Although I am not officially religious, I've grew up with a family bitching about the other side's sins and their silly beliefs.
    I've abandoned religion it turns adults into teenage girls, :lol:

---------- Post added 29th Nov 2012 at 09:10 PM ----------

I think it will be easier because you can spend a couple of hours writing down EXACTLY how you feel because during awkward or heated discussions you forget things you wanted to mention and have no idea how to start the conversation in the first place.
    Plus it gives them time to process it without any offending outbursts.
    As it says in the poem I did try to tell my mum earlier "Mum, heh... I want to tell you something... eh.. it's a bit wierd... You've probably guessed...No, this is too awkward..." I had to walk away and think about it for a while then I wrote the poem and just handed it to her saying "Read this, I was trying to say it earlier" and paced my room waiting for her to come in. That two minutes and fifty seconds was unbearably long. Although it was better than me standing there red faced and stuttering for ten minutes. :lol:

10. MixedNutz

Hahaha soo true

Both sides of my family are jws. From cousins to grandparents :eusa_doh:

11. madi

I really like your poem. I'm sorry you have to deal with this kind of bigotry especially from your own family. (*hug*)

12. redsponges

Both?! OH NO!! I'm impressed that you made it this far. Seriously :eusa_clap The number of things you mustn't do is really suppressing. Not to mention alienating from other people. I'm kinda glad one side of mine are catholics because it meant that I got presents at xmas :grin:

13. redsponges

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. Writing poems- if slightly sarcastic and silly- is my only way to get any sort of point across. I'm really not a verbal person. In my family you barely get out your first statement before being interrupted and having the bible quoted at you. It's so infuriating and bizarre how people can connect everything to the devil and that all problems can be solved by being racist. Here's an example, This is my uncle's thought process in a REAL conversation a few years ago.
    *Now, I must warn you and anyone else who reads this, It's quite disturbing and upsetting and I hope I don't get banned for this. It is NOT my view*
    I was having KFC for dinner and wanted to go buy some watermelon for desert.
    My uncle's response:"Only poor black people eat fried chicken and watermelon-here's why- blacks are evil, they don't get sunburn because they are from hell- do you want to turn black?- god banished some to hell and some to africa because hell is overrun with them their skin is all dark and decayed from being in that heat all this time- watermelon is red like blood, we don't eat anything that's like human flesh- that's why all the blacks are so violent nowadays, they can still taste blood from the days of being cannibals- that's why they like watermelon, it's in the bible, look........" This utter bullshit goes on and on :bang: I'm gonna stop it's too insulting and ludicrous and this post is too long.

14. Emberblaze

Well damn... Psh, excuse me for enjoying fried chicken, watermelon, and purple kool-aid... lols but I laugh in the face of stereotypes!

Anywhoo, liked the poem! I dont think i could write a poem as a means of coming out. I wouldn't have any words to say accept that I'm gay (lols uh-oh I may be on to something XP)

Maybe I could write a prose or a short story or something. Eh, well I AM working on a novel about a gay teenager, but I don't think I can wait THAT long to come out to the masses.

Anywhooooo once more, good luck with your fam though. Sounds like a tough lot

15. MixedNutz

HAHA well my bra and family are non religious Catholics so I'm getting into the present thing also.

Yea both. As religious as my parents are, they raised me and my sister to be very independent. Which I think is kind of back firing on them now. :eusa_doh: