1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Friends!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Fire2free, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

So I just read that Serephina has told her best friend that she is bi and I'd like to show some support to help her calm her nerves but asking other members to post their stories of how their best friends took the news. My BFF turned out to be the best support in the world. So I'd like to hear from others that being gay can actual help you become closer to someone like my BFF & me.(&&&)

2. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I came out, it encouraged my bestie to come out, too. She's bi. one of the mosy accepting people in the world and I love her to bits. Molly, babe you're amazing! <3

3. BudderMC

My closest friend was the first person I came out to. I was terrified as hell and ended up leaving him a letter (and consequently avoiding him the next 2 days...), but it all worked out for the best. Things were awkward at first because I was super awkward about it and he "hoped he wouldn't fail me" (as he put it) since nobody's ever come out to him before. But to date, he's arguably been one of my most supportive friends and infinitely more supportive than I was expecting him to be.

He also offered (and volunteered the rest of our housemates for me) to go to pride with me, since I wanted to go but I'm still pretty uncomfortable with the idea. He's pretty amazing.

4. Fire2free

Fire2free Guest

Looking back I should of seen that response coming no one noes me like she does.

5. aeva

My bff of 14 years is straight, but the most supportive friend I could ever wish for. She goes to Pride with me, points out cute girls, is my date/snuggle buddy when I'm not in a relationship, and keeps me updates me when she hears any LGBT-related news (on election night, she was texting me every 10 minutes).

She recently moved to California, so I don't see her very often anymore. We still talk every day though. I love her more than any other being on this planet and always will. We even have tattoos for each other (I have a snake for her, and she has our two astrological signs combined).

6. SparkDT

I'm a gay guy, but I told my best (male) friend that I was gay and after initially being a bit taken back by it, we ended up being ten times closer afterwards. I have not came out publicly yet but feel A LOT better about doing it to close friends. Just having that support there for you means so much when you're feeling down. I think people are becoming more accepting overall too and the general response I got from the people I told was better than I was expected (maybe I was just being paranoid). I don't regret it one bit. :slight_smile:

7. SparkDT

Re: Support?

I told my best friend who has helped me through basically everything I've had to deal with in life that I was gay earlier this year. At first, he was a bit indifferent to it but said that nothing had changed. I was so nervous that he wouldn't accept me for who I am or would try to push me away, but pretty quickly things he became openly accepting of it and we talked more about everything.

Since then, he's become pretty much my favorite person to talk about any feelings I have - good or bad - related to my sexuality and everything else. There's no awkwardness now at all and I think we've grown closer because of it. Be open to people, even if you tell one or two close friends who you are and open up to them, it makes a world of difference to your mental health and your relationship with them, with other people, and even yourself. I've told 20 or so other people since then. Don't regret it in the least.

8. Serephina

Thanks Fire ^^ I left a letter for my bestie as well, but I mean, we hung out like thirty minutes later. And she has a lesbian sister, and she herself is bisexual. So I mean... when I told her I may like lady bits more than man sticks(my new phrase ^^), she just shrugged and said "I suspected". And I was like... :confused: dafuq! How did you know before me >.> She laughed and said "Sera. I have a lesbian sister. I just knew."

So yeah. I was kinda freaking out for nothing. She's the only one I've told so far, but it's like this huge weight is off my chest. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one freaking out C:​

9. Exceeder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I came out to my best friend in first year, he was all like "Oh yeah, I thought so." (Apparently I showed little or no interest in women as a sign - shocker, lol!). His girlfriend was really surprised though because right before I came out, they were talking about me (my friend saying he thinks I'm gay, and she vehemently disagreeing).

As for our friendship? Absolutely nothing changed (well, except the range of creativity of his nicknames for me. If anything, we became closer).

10. vyvance

My best friend was and is supportive to the point of physical violence if anyone gives me a hard time about it. He usually reacts more strongly to homophobia than I do.

11. Kat kanu

Mine said why didn't you tell me earlier I freaking love gay people lol

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

My best friend said, "I still love you." And then I was fine. My best friends actually get more defensive about my sexuality than I do most of the time. They go totally jersey....

13. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've always thought telling your friends is easiest thing, i never really understood why some people are scared to tell their friends, in my experience my friends love me unconditionally like how parents are supposed to , to me telling parents is the hardest thing, I still have not told mine that I'm Bi and I don't think I'll really ever have the guts to unless I have a girlfriend, because I won't live a lie when I'm with someone I love. Anyway back to the topic I told one of my friends I was bi she totally cool with it she is bi too which I didn't know at the time , and she happened to talk to my best friend before I did and she told him so he already knew and he didn't care but the weird thing is he made an excuse for it, he was like well I think the only reason your attracted to girls is because of your hormone imbalance, I have a lot of testosterone in me more then I guess is normal for girls and I'm low on estrogen. it just was weird he said that because if you apply that to me you would have to say that about every gay and lesbian in the world, and he loves all his other gay friends but with me he had ton think of a logical reason, which really made me sad .

14. timo

My 3 closest friends are all straight and are without exception accepting. If anything has changed it's that the friendships got stronger.

15. Calico

My best friend just hugged me and said "I've always wanted a gay friend!!" and now, a couple months later, she isn't my best friend anymore, shes my girlfriend :slight_smile: .

16. Meg

Meg

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My best friend reacted not so well, just said oh, well I guess that's okay and hasn't spoken about it for four years :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm the type with multiple best friends though, my other friend reacted wonderfully, is fine to talk about it and I do have some friends who are really great about it all. Haven't told many of my friends though, some don't need to know unless I'm in a relationship with woman and even then may have some freak outs but will cross that bridge when I get there.
    No one in my family knows I'm bi.

17. Lewis

Me and my best friends are a lot closer since I came out, so I agree completely. :slight_smile: