1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told my aunt..(Kinda a long story. :P)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mackattack, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

Yesterday my aunt texted me asking if I wanted to go for a ride with her in her car and I had a random last minute idea of coming out to her and so I worked up my courage and told her I was gay.. This is how it went::

Me-"What are you doing today?"
    Her-"Nothing. I might go to grandma's house. "
    Me-"Do you care if I come to your house and when you go to grandma's you can drop me off back at my house?"
    Her- "Well, I was just going to go over there after taking you home, do you want to go to grandma's with me?"
    Me-... *doesn't say anything for a minute.*
    Her-"Do you want to talk to me about something?"
    Me- "Yes."
    Her-"Okay, we can go to my house first then."
    Me- 'K."
    ~Later at her house~~
    Her- "You have the floor, tell me what's up."
    Me-"I think you already know, I think the whole family knows, but I told S (Her daughter) and I'm ready to tell you now."
    Her- "Should I be scared? Are you pregnant?"
    Me-*laughes*"No I'm not pregnant, I'm not going to be anytime soon. I'm gay."
    Her-"what makes you think you're gay?"
    Me-"The fact that when I think of having a sexual relationship with a man, I get grossed out, and how much happier I am dating a girl than I was with a boy."
    Her-"Okay, I don't support that, I think it's wrong. God is mad at you for being this way. I've heard that gay people say they're born that way, but I don't think that's right, I think it's a choice.I don't want you to be this way, but it is what it is. It sucks, kiddo. Do you ever argue with yourself about it?"
    Me-"No I know I'm gay!"

She just kept on telling me how it's wrong and all this stuff I personally do not agree with. But then she told me she still loves me and that she knows I can't choice who I'm attracted to. At that point I just bit my tongue and didn't say anything because I didn't want to start a big debate over this topic. But I wanted to say, EXACTLY!!! I can't choose it! :***: But I just changed topics and about an hour later I went home. It wasn't the best coming out experience I've had, but I've had worse for sure. I was telling someone about this last night and when I was telling her I realized that more than anything what hurt me most was, my aunt just really hurt my feelings more than anything. I know I can't change her thoughts on it and she can't change my thoughts on it either, but it just hurt me hearing her saying how wrong it is and that I might still have a chance of going to heaven and not hell, but how she wasn't judging me by saying that. It sounds like she was though. I just wanted to share, I didn't mean for it to be such a long story, I guess I had more on my chest than I thought. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, I just can't stop thinking about it.

2. jimL

Well heck! Sorry that didn't go well. Maybe you should have gone to grandmas house and told her instead. Maybe it would have been a better response. Hopefully she will think about it and come around to be more accepting. I just don't know why anyone would think we choose to be gay??? It's just crazy. My best friend said the same thing....

3. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

Thank you for answering! :slight_smile: I'm just looking for thoughts on this. I told my aunt that I've only told two or three family members and that I was scared of them disowning me for being gay, and that's why I only told so few family members (even though I'm pretty sure the whole family already knows.) but my aunt said that she's pretty sure my family members wouldn't just walk out of my life because of this, but that most of them wouldn't be happy to hear that I'm gay, and I already know that. My parents told me I was going to hell for being this way so I've heard it all, lol. but she did tell my that my grandma wouldn't of been happy to hear me tell her either, so I knew that too, that's why I don't plan on telling her anytime soon either. lol.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I agree, I hope that my aunt lets it sink in and she can get used to the thought of me being gay and at least be ok about it. I also don't know why anyone would choose to be gay either, honestly.:confused:

4. Lucy56

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Im sorry it didn't go well.Love Is Love I dont understand why some people dont get that!
    Girl & Girl-Love
    Boy & Boy-Love
    Boy & Girl-Love
    I haven't come out yet Because I go to a homophobic School and my family are pretty homophobic.I guess some people dont understand what love is.Take care xx

5. Mackattack

Mackattack Guest

Thank you for the comments! As bad as it was coming out to my aunt, it does get easier each time, the more people I tell. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: A bunch of my family is homophobic too so I don't plan on telling anyone else in my family right away.

6. MixedNutz

Sorry it didn't go so well... But she may come around.

I also don't understand why people think this is a choice. The choice is to be happy or be celibate and miserable.

the good thing is she said she still loves you, that love may push her toward acceptance in the future.