1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unexpected facebook..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by jaysuss, Nov 15, 2012.

1. jaysuss

So i had my interested in thing on facebook set to men but i had the privacy set on me only. Yesterday they decided to default everything or something and it was leaked out before i found out about it. I found out when my grandparents sent me a message concerning myb sexuality and how they would talk to me on Sunday for Thanksgiving dinner. Fuck this shouldn't of happened...

2. Koan

Koan Guest

Oouch.... sorry to hear that.

I must say I really don't trust Facebook for privacy. The privacy settings are way to complex and one single click somewhere can reveal something one is not interested in revealing.

I hope you will be fine in the end, anyway.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah... Facebook made some changes recently. I hope that everything turns out ok.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that they found out, and that it happened in that way. Hope things will work out somehow for you.

5. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my god, so sorry. I can imagine how frickin' scary that would be. D:
    Mind if I ask what your plan of action is? Not if you care not to, but if you feel like sharing I'm interested.
    Just going to give you a virtual hug and remind you that who you are is not wrong or sick or disgusting or unnatural! You are beautiful! (*hug*)

6. Chickzak

As Koan said, I don't trust facebook for privacy either. Find it so annoying when facebook is always making small changes to their settings; it means you're always having to check back on your page in case things have changed.

And the small changes they make without informing you because clearly, it turns out they have a bigger impact than they realise. :dry: Sucks to be found out like that, but hey maybe it will will turn out to be a positive thing in a couple of weeks time when--hopefully, they get their head around it. Its tough, but keep your chin up!!

Hope things work out okay :kiss:

#6 Chickzak, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  7. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

Thought I'd send a few of these your way.

I know it will be wicked hard, but be strong.

Remember you are an amazing and wonderful person, :grin: and no one has the right to tell you who you can and should be. (*hug*)

8. jaysuss

I actually have no idea weekday I'm going to do. I.can't go and say I'm not gay but my grandparents are very public about everything. Whenever I'm over there she makes me do some of the stupidest shit. Anyone have any clue what to do?

9. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you tell them Facebook messed up and did that not you? (Sort of the truth.)
    Or will this not work for you? Not sure by reading your "out status" over there.
    You could be honest and stand up for yourself, but I suppose that can have negative consequences seeing as you are sixteen. There's always the pretending to agree with them until you're out of there. Either way it's not going to be fun, I'm just going to be honest with you. But you can do it.

10. Lewis

Whatever you do, don't say the interested in men was a glitch. Tell them it's true, it's a good opportunity to do so. As hard as it is, I'm sure you can get through it. Trust me, come out at your age and live the life you deserve!

I wish you the best and good luck!

11. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ That's good advice if at all you can.

12. jsmurf

Are they very religious? Mormon?

13. Lad123

Well you could just say that your friend fraped you. Problem sorted! :slight_smile:

14. Lewis

And that would be lying. If this is an issue regarding religion, wouldn't that also be a sin? I'm not religious, but I urge you to tell the truth for your own benefit.

15. jaysuss

They are strict mormons. They wouldn't see me for years because i want Mormon on a Sunday. I don't want to lie about myself anymore but i want ready for that. Maybe I'll convince my parents to let me stay home or I'll try to pick up a shift.

16. Gen

Gen

In my opinion, call it fate or divine intervention, but it seems to me that this might be the time for you to open yourself up a bit.

That being said, if you feel that coming out will put you and any real danger, then please dont, of course. Though if it will just unsettle some minds, then I would be honest and just get it over with now. If they will be upset now, they will be upset later.

17. Lad123

Jaysuss is only 16. You are 19 and can only come out to some close friends for now. It is easier said than done when it is somebody else. So would you be able to come out to grandparents?

18. Ticklish Fish

*hug*

Like a lot of others' comments, you pretty much have a choice to lie (someone got on my facebook!), to hide (behind shifts), or to be truthful.

I don't know your grandparents well, but do you think they are super duper conservative? moderate? liberal?

*hug*
    don't be too fear right now. calm down. there's a few days to thanksgiving. maybe debunk a few myths about gays XD

19. Fruitylicious

I know how the religion thing goes, pretty experienced with most religions since I have mostly religious friends. Considering they are strict Mormons (Which is not surprising that they are very religious considering the generation that the come from), I don't know if I would tell them or not.

Honestly I cannot tell you to come out, because I myself have yet to do so and I am 18, however I can say that I would choose carefully. Considering your parents told you to go back in the closet, they are probably embarrassed or some non-sense and since your grandparents are public about things, if you come out to them, then they will turn around and announce it to your parents and everyone else.

So I would carefully choose what to do, honestly you are the only one who knows your situation the best and you know what may happen when you come out. As long as your parents won't disown, kick you out, physically abuse you, emotionally abuse you, etc... then you would probably be safe to come out to your grandparents, however if any of these things that I listed or I didn't list, but are bad may happen, I would hold off on telling them until your older.

I hope everything works out for you and whatever you decide, know that we are here for you know matter the outcome(*hug*):kiss:(&&&)

20. theMaverick

*checks facebook*
    phew

sorry that this happened to you.