1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has this happened to anyone?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by hatethiscloset, Nov 15, 2012.

1. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay so I feel slightly odd since yesterday I posted about how amazed/shocked/happy I was because my best friend doesn't care at all about me being gay....Don't get me wrong, I am still EXTREMELY happy... But I'm not sure if its because I expected him to treat me differently, but I almost don't want this secret to sortof be brushed under the rug. I mean obviously if my friend really didn't care he would treat me different (which is exactly what hes doing)....but what I'm wondering is if anyone has felt what I'm about to explain. I actually don't want him to drop it so fast. I find myself wanting the subject to be brought up a lot so he and i can talk about it together. It may just be because I want to keep reliving the fact that he truly doesnt care :slight_smile: But I'm almost a tad melancholy because everything is back to normal. Has this happened to anyone before? On another note, now that my best friend knows I'm gay, how much is okay to talk about with him? A part of me wants to just bring it up as much as possible just because of the fact that he is so cool with it. But I also don't want to get annoying about it. Even though hes still my best friend, I don't want him to feel awkward around me. Any opinions on this will be appreciated :slight_smile:

2. you

you

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still feel this quite a bit, although it's toned down now.
    How much you talk about it depends on what specifically you're talking about. Sexual things should probably be kept to yourself for now, since I'm guessing he's straight. He probably won't mind if you talk about who you're into or things like that, though. Just pay attention to his reactions when you tell him things.

3. Lewis

I get where you're coming from. I do like to talk about it. That's probably because we have kept it to ourselves for so long and we just want to share how we feel and get all those years of bottling up out sexualities, out.

4. Bree

Why don't you tell him that you'd really like to talk about it some more, as it's something that you've been stressing over for years? He probably wouldn't expect you to WANT to keep talking about it now that you've told him--which makes it feel anti-climactic. As your friend he's probably be willing to listen if you need to rant.

5. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah this is all true. I hear that for straight people, listening to someone coming out isnt actually a big deal, even though for us its the end of the world lol. So I could see him not even realizing how much I want to talk about it. Im still at the stage where I get kindof nervous even casually commenting on a guy. I was like this when I came out to my other friend but now I feel more comfortable around her, and I am guessing the same will happen with my best friend. I would obviously not say something sexual persay but i want to be at least able to say stuff like "wow hes cute" without being nervous about it.

6. revi

revi Guest

OMG i felt the same way. I talked with him on the bus and wouldn't let it be brushed under the rug. But the thing is they don't care. It would be like being straight you would say O like this girl they would be interested at first then they know its not a big deal.

7. weboflies

I know just what you mean, after I told some family members I wanted everything to be the same, but I still want them to sort of...acknowledge it sometimes? It's almost like it never happened, sometimes I wonder if they even forgot

8. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My sraight best friend was so cool with it, he was the one making sexual jokes( not the annoying ones).

9. Nemo39122

I COMPLETELY understand! I remember when I came out as bisexual to my best friend over spring break this year. She was so amazing about it...and it literally didn't change anything. I had the same issue for awhile, to the point where I actually started wondering if she totally forgot lol. 6 months after I came out we were partying at another friend's house and we decided to go outside and talk. Now, we had been drinking for quite awhile so things were pretty honest...she actually brought it up (I think...I don't remember all the details :lol: ) and kept reassuring me that it was okay. She was even talking about how pissed off she gets when parents reject their LGBT children. I hope she knows how much that means to me.

Since then I haven't felt the issue you're describing. I think when you first come out you really want to talk about it. I mean, it's a huge secret you've been hiding for probably quite some time, it has not been easy...its natural to feel the need to talk. Especially when your friendship with a person has just become even stronger. My advice would be to just let it come up if it comes up. Depeding on your friendship, you can even bring it up in a way like "Hey, so this is totally ok with you?" or however you feel comfortable.

It's difficult to go through the stress and emotions of coming out, and then feel like nothing really happened. But over time you'll notice you just feel more settled in who you are. It just becomes integrated in who you are and if it comes up, it comes up.

Just be yourself, things will work out. (*hug*)

(and congrats on coming out! :slight_smile: )

10. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I actually had another conversation about this with my best friend today (3 days after coming out) and I already feel sooooo much better. I explained to him how I really needed to talk about it and we had a nice discussion. It feels amazing to finally be able to tell him what I have been feeling for years. Not to mention, as I am STILL shocked at his positive reaction, I practically jumped for joy whenever he would joke about it or address it. For some reason, in my mind it seems like some ppl really dont have an issue with the word "gay". Like when I told him I was gay and he reacted great. But (as silly as this sounds) to change "I'm gay" into "I want to date guys" it seems more like directly addressing the situation, ya know? So as happy as I am when he acknowledges that I am gay, his little comments about possible relationships and whatnot just makes it even better.

11. SkyDiver

Oh, I definitely felt that with alot of people when I was coming out. It's so anticlimactic when the subject is just dropped from then on!

12. caramba2654

I hope it doesn't happen to me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I just came out Tuesday, and since then I couldn't talk with the people I came out to (my two best friends) because they're traveling and will only come back next Wednesday. Therefore I couldn't really experience of being the gay friend. But I'm sure that fact will be remembered, because I still have a few more people to come out to...

13. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

Are you kidding?

This is exactly what happened to me.

I told him, no, poured my heart out to my best friend of so many years and he was just like, "kay".

He hasn't treated me any different and hasn't even talked much about it. Doesn't even act grossed out or disturbed when I talk about the guys I like. He still comes over and sleeps in my room, having a good time.

Part of me is happy. He just doesn't care. But at the same time, coming out to him was one of the biggest events of my life, after all, I hold his opinion higher then any, and he just....kinda

Brushed it off.

I am still not sure what to think. I kinda wanted him to ask me questions and whatnot.

14. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm glad others have felt this way, even though it does kinda suck. In reality, my best friend said more than just "kay" haha. All the same, though, he was way more okay with it than I thought and I also felt the whole brushing under the rug thing. I realize that if you bring up a conversation about it, at least in my case, he will take time to talk about it with me, which is all that matters.

15. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

I know this topic is specifically about your best friend, but honestly I've received this "supportive cold shoulder" from like three people I came out too.

The funniest was a guy came out to and instantly thought that by best friend was gay too since we're so close. I think he just wanted some juicy Jerry Springer drama.

16. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol. I think its pretty funny because occasionally someone will joke around that me and my best friend are secretly dating or whatever cuz we are so close. Now that my best friend knows I'm gay I expected him to feel uncomfortable when ppl joke about this. Yet another surprise, rather than ignore it like he used to he actually sortof plays along now! haha

17. Pat

Pat

Lol bahaha Yessss.. we all go through this. I was talking to my straight bud alex last night and although I think HE would maintain a conversation about intimacy between two men (has other gay friends.. couples) I don't have a desire to talk about my stuff usually with him. We talked about a girl he really likes and I gave some advice on that. He did start to tell me about some bedroom stuff, and I was like, let's be pg. And it's really because...I'll want to throw up talking about a girl eww lmao. So yeah, they are usually okay with talking about who you like, that kind of stuff. At the same time, it makes YOU torn because you don't want to change toward your friend either. Now you have this balancing act because the sole reason you're friends may have been based on your secret life. So now you have to tend to his needs also because you have to remember what caused him to be your friend in the first place. So yeah, balancing between who you really are and who he has found you to be is difficult. When I'm feeling emotional and I want to talk to my best straight friend, he's nowhere to be found (hate when he doesn't answer his texts) you kind of have to suppress your feelings a little bit to maintain things, and be there for them. And maybe one day, they'll really take a genuine interest in your well being. They don't know how much struggling we go through with the sexuality thing. So they don't know to check up on you usually.

18. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I think of it as, being gay doesn't define who I am. I am still the same person, I just happen to like guys. And he understands that completely. He still treats me exactly the same. But I know what you mean by a balancing act....I am currently trying to figure out how exactly to balance my old self with my urge to let him know more about the part of myself that I have kept hidden for years. I don't mean any huge emotional conversations, I'm talking about the little things. Like being able to call a movie star cute or something.

19. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Yup I know exactly how you feel! I have felt like this lately, and I think it's because I've only been out for around 5 months now, so all these feelings and thoughts have to go somewhere!!

20. poker21

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Look I'm straight but I really want to experienced one night I'm just curiouse when they put it in your bottom how's does that feel.