1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I started coming out to my friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Meg, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Meg

Meg

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So last night I started coming out to some (being two) my friends. Unfortunately alcohol was involved, I really need to do this sober! I only told a few and the context wasn't exactly like saying I'm bi. I told them I had dated another woman and had enjoyed it.
    One was really quite surprised but didn't seem to judge or anything. However the other friend just responded, "Ew that's gross." So I asked her what was wrong with it, her response, "No, it's just wrong and disgusting."
    Hmm
    Not quite sure what to do about this, she had been drinking too and I think it's best if I just have a sober conversation with her about it all. I've slowly been dropping hints but 100% if some of my other friends have caught on but with the way last night went it's been a bit of a blow to the confidence!

2. Ticklish Fish

congrats on the first friend but not commenting on the second one...

alcohol coming out.... idk about that

3. Lewis

Alcohol is always my main motivater for coming outs, so you're not alone there! Congratulations on coming out to your friends. Regards to the 'its disgusting' comment, just reply with, 'well be thankful that I don't plan on having sex with you'. Those kind of comments annoy me so much, it's not like they're involved in your sex life.

4. Meg

Meg

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alcohol certainly gave me a bit of confidence that I probably shouldn't have had haha I'll bring it up sober at one point hopefully. However I did come out to a friend sober last night over Skype and she was really supportive. She knows all my other friends too and said it's their problem not mine so it was certainly nice to hear :slight_smile:

5. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on coming out! Three people! Wow! :eusa_clap
    I agree a talk might be nice. I'm sorry if things don't work out too well with you two but I hope they do. (*hug*)

6. Meg

Meg

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks :slight_smile: Some of my friends are so lovely and supportive while others are just completely shocked. I've always known that the friend who responded badly would in a way. She's relatively homophobic. But in a weird way. The idea of people being gay or bi doesn't freak her out, she's fine with it, however her friends being gay/bi is suddenly a no deal thing. I guess she'll just have to deal with it in her own time though. I just don't like the fact that if I do live with these girls (it is quite likely for next year as we're all needing a place to live in the same city to attend school) that if I do get in a relationship with another woman I'm really going to need to hide her and it all from them.