1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by joshakjohn, Nov 18, 2012.

1. joshakjohn

Helloo well I've been here for a while (under a different username, which I forgot) and reading all the advice and stories here, really gave me the courage to come out and so I though I'd share mine which hopefully may help someone one day!

(It's a tad long so I apologize)

Well the first person I came out too was my ex girlfriend which happened during the prom after party, had a few too many drinks and ended up telling her while falling asleep. The next day I quickly denied it and nothing was spoken of it until 6 months late in March of this year when I properly came out to her.

Over the next few months I slowly started coming out to more of my friends and by about mid April, 10 friends knew, which although ain't a lot, for me was quite overwhelming considering I'd spent the past 5 1/2 years with no one knowing and no one to talk too.

Few months later, at a birthday party same thing happened, I got drunk and ended up telling everyone there. Luckily I have the most amazing friends anyone can ask for and they were all amazing about it, even one who I thought would take it badly.

A few weeks ago, I came home from college and my mother asked me about some messages that someone sent me (homophobic) and asked if there was something I wanted to tell her or something I was hiding, it was then I decided to tell her. She started to tear up a bit but simply said "nothings going to change, your still my Josh" and she then said that she wish I'd told her sooner because she accepted it years ago.

She then went on and told the rest of my family and literally every single one of them has been great, even my grandfather whos an ex army tough guy was amazing and reminded me about the song that a drag act was singing while we were on holiday which was "I am What I am".

So since my close friends and all my family knew, I decided it was time to let everyone else know and the best way was Facebook. Again everyone was so supportive, sending me messages saying they are proud and stuff. Even my college classmates who I barely know have been great and told me well done and that they are proud.

So I just want to wish anyone whos planning on coming out, the best of luck and I hope it goes well! Thank you too everyone here who has helped me not directly but just by helping others.

2. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AWWWWWW. Too sweet. That is indeed a happy story! Thank you for sharing, it's wonderful! Inspiring story, very well!

So of course CONGRATS! And welcome back to EC as well. :slight_smile:

3. Night Sun

That's an amazing experience! I'm so glad it went well for you. (!) You're lucky to have such amazing friends and family. It's such an inspiration to read stories like yours (*hug*)

CONGRATS!!!! :icon_bigg

4. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Some would say that was just AWESOME lol. just saying :icon_bigg

5. jimL

That is totally awesome......you are one lucky guy.