1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A coming out party

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Rose, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Rose

No. 1: Six months ago by e-mail to my best friend. She was just amazing in her response.

No. 2 and 3: A month or so later I told two old and dear friends (a couple). I was determined to do it face to face but could not find quick courage and it took me hours. It was very painful for me, and them at the time. But, they are absolutely accepting and a tower of strength for me.

No. 4: A newer friend of one year. Fairly painless. Instant acceptance and validation.

No. 5: Old friend. She wasn't surprised as I had become quite close to telling her before. Same positive reaction as others. Excellent.

No. 6: In my lunch break at work to a friend/colleague last friday. Crazy.

No. 7 and 8: To some dear old friends over birthday champagne on Friday night (person No. 2 also present). It feels like there is something to celebrate, a little bit. Their reaction was again awesome.

I hate the anxiety that coming out induces and I feel I need a little rest from it... but progress is being made, that is for sure.

I feel grateful for my friends and grateful to have found the courage to share who I am.

2. Night Sun

I'm glad you had such a great experience. :eusa_clap I'm glad you have such a great group of friends. I'm glad you are finally able to be yourself around them. (!) I can certainly understand what you mean about the anxiety.... But it's worth it. Congrats!!!

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! That sounds like alot of work that paid off. Good job!

4. caramba2654

When I read the title, I seriously thought that you was planning to make a party just to come out. And when closeted people say it's hard to tell everyone about its own sexuality, a coming out party would be... a quick escalation. I dunno, just looked funny in my head.

And I didn't get too anxious when I told my friends I was gay. I mean, just my heart doubling it's BPM or so...

5. Ticklish Fish

Congratulations!
    I bet that champagne was special?!

6. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was lurking amongst another forum, where the majority of people are anti-equality, anti-gay. And someone's cousin or family member actually had a coming out party. I guess their family threw it for them, but still. Of course it was about advice on whether or not they should go, this was a Christian forum. (Like I said, majority THERE not accepting, I know plenty plenty plenty are out there.) And then there is the Ugly Betty scene. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Layla

I also went straight to Ugly Betty in my head!

Congratulations though :slight_smile: must feel like a weight has been lifted :slight_smile: