1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost a year

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by txscr9, Nov 18, 2012.

1. txscr9

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's almost been a year since I officially came out. I've always known I was gay, but was very closeted throughout high school and college. No one really questioned it either - I was a very popular guy in high school, played varsity soccer, clean cut, all-American kid growing up in central Texas. When I moved to DC for my undergrad degree, I mostly stayed in the closet - something I really regret now. I actually didn't start coming out until I was in the military. The first time I ever acknowledged that I was gay to someone was my roommate (a fellow Navy officer) when I was stationed in Virginia. He was totally cool with it and I started being out to my circle of friends there. I loved it. When I got out of the service and came here to Boston for grad school, I decided to be completely out. Living in a city like this certainly helps. I also came out to my parents and family in late 2011 and I must say, I am very lucky to have them. Everyone in my family has been so supportive and wonderful.

The last group of people I had yet to come out to was my group of friends back home in Texas. I really hated that I was keeping a secret from these people that I have known since elementary school, but I had no idea what to expect from them. I know that my friends there are very accepting and progressive, but they're still Texans. Many of them are politically conservative, go hunting, and live very much the Texas life. New Year's Eve is a rare time when most of us get back together to celebrate from all over the country. Last NYE, I decided it was finally time to come out to them, and emboldened with a few beers, let them know. I couldn't believe the reaction I got. The most conservative, deer-hunting, born-and-bred friend out of the whole group came up to me told me how proud he was of me and gave me a huge hug. I couldn't have asked for a better set of friends.

In fact, almost all of them were excited to finally have a gay friend! This group of white, conservative, Texans have actually taken me out to a gay bar before. Many of them love drunkenly playing around on Grind-r on my phone to hook me up :lol:

I know there's a lot of people who went through tough times coming out, but I am very happy to say that my experience has been nothing but positive. Out of hundreds of people that now know, not a SINGLE person has had a negative reaction. My biggest regret is that I didn't come out years and years ago in high school. It amazes me how much I missed out by staying in the closet.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets! Congratulations on your coming out journey thus far. It's great to read that your family and friends have been wonderful in their support. Often times friends can put their beliefs, political leanings, aside and be quite supportive. It sounds like it was a relieving experience for you. :slight_smile: