1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Half-Sister and My Nieces

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AlexisAnne, Nov 18, 2012.

1. AlexisAnne

I came out to my older Half-Sister as female Saturday afternoon. I wasn't too nervous about this one because she's pretty accepting of others and, as I figured it went extremely well. The most difficult part of the experience was finding her house because it was the first time I've visited her since she moved.

We sat down and I told her about it, we had a good twenty minute discussion on it. She'd known I was hiding something all my life, and though she hadn't known exactly what it was, it hadn't come as a total shock to her. So, after we got done talking, I asked if she wanted to "see" me the way I see myself. I had some clothing and things in my car because was already planning on being "me" with my friends tonight. She said yes and I ran out to get my stuff. When I came back in, my youngest niece (Late teens) was sitting there grinning at me. Apparently she'd walked in while I was getting my stuff and my sister had brought her kind of up to speed. The Niece walked over and gave me a big hug and kept on smiling. I asked her if she was going to stick around for a few minutes and see her aunt. And she said, "YES."

So I changed clothing and walked out. The reactions were extremely positive. And we all sat talking for a few more minutes when my oldest niece walked in. She didn't have any preparation for what she saw. I told her briefly what was going on, she just kind of said "Okay" and joined in the discussion. My sister knows our dad pretty well and though I've started telling him about what's going on with me and the home situation still seems livable, she told me that if things change with my father as he learns more about what I actually intend to do about my feelings, I'm welcome to stay there for a little while if I need to. She also told me she's going to raid her closet because she thinks she might have some clothes that would fit me. :slight_smile:

Not only was it a positive experience, but my list of people I need to come out to is growing quite short (outside of work, which I'll be handling a bit differently).

2. LightningRider

Woo! (!)
    Congrats on coming out to more people! :grin:

Hopefully soon we will both be out to everyone we want ;P

Your sister and nieces are definitely awesome!

3. AlexisAnne

Thank you LR. They are awesome at that :slight_smile: Work is a little stickier for me, but outside of that, I'll probably be out to everybody within a month. I know you're getting there as well, so I agree, hopefully things continue to progress well for both of us. :slight_smile:

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad to hear that it went well! I hope that things continue to go well for both of you!

5. AlexisAnne

6. Night Sun

Congratulations! :eusa_clap I love how excited the first neice seemed to be! I hope that things continue to go great for you in the future! Congratulations again! (*hug*)

7. AlexisAnne

Thanks. Yeah the younger niece (almost 20) made me feel really good :slight_smile:

8. Joey4

I couldn't imagine how much more difficult it would be to have to reintroduce yourself and allow people to become acclimated with the new, same person. Coming out to your family is a big step. I'm glad it went well and that you're supported.

Good luck with your dad.

9. AlexisAnne

Thank you Joey. I appreciate that :slight_smile: You're right, it's difficult, but so very worth it. My dad is the project so to speak. He knows the basics right now, and I'll bring him a little more in at time. My Half-Sister agrees with me that it's the best way to break him into it.

Thanks again for your support. I don't know if I'd have come this far this quickly without the wonderful people on this site :slight_smile:

10. Joey4

It's amazing what the internet-age has done to help transform our lives. I don't think I'd be this far along myself if it wasn't for this forum, amongst other internet-based items.

Is there anything you can use to help educate your dad? I've seen transgender documentaries before. Maybe suggesting something of the sort would help?

11. AlexisAnne

I've thought about that, as far as educating him. Religious and conservative as he is, he has a logical mind on a lot of things, and I feel deep down that if I can present this correctly, I can bring him around. If you happen to come across anything specific while you're online, I'm certainly open to suggestions on that front :slight_smile: I do think your right though. With him, it's not going to be as much convincing him of how I feel, it's going to be showing him things that resonate with that logical side of his brain.

12. Joey4

Yup. You're smart. You'll figure it out.

13. AlexisAnne

Thanks. I know I am, but I like hearing others say it. :lol: