1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feeling a little lighter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Sal, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Sal

Sal Guest

After two months of avoidance I finally worked up the courage to talk to my counselor today. I was wandering the halls aimlessly trying to avoid gym when i suddenly found myself outside the guidance office. I felt a strong urge to enter, yet my hand started shaking like crazy when i gripped the door handle. It was like an out-of-body experience when i walked through the door. The short trek into the office was nerve wrecking and after babbling incoherently to the secretary I was finally seated with my counselor. However as soon as i sat down i was a mess, stuttering and hyperventilating. It seemed like forever before i was finally able to calm down from my mini panic attack and actually talk, yet with persistent stuttering, to her. It was difficult to say the least but, after ignoring the incessant need to bolt from the room, we were able to talk with relative ease. She was kind and nothing like the monstrous images that i'd conjured up in my mind. She wasn't judgmental and listened to everything I said with rapt attention. we talked for almost an hour and when i left I felt lighter than I've had in a while.

2. jimL

I'm glad you didn't turn and run. Good on you for continuing and getting it out there. Congratulations. It will get easier.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it's great that you went into the counseling office and were determined enough to stay, and to start talking despite it being difficult for you to talk about it. I'm sure your next appointments or visits are going to be easier. It sounds like that speaking with the counselor has really helped. Glad to read that you felt differently/lighter afterward. Let us know how the follow-up visits go for you.

4. Sal

Sal Guest

Thanks, I hope it does get easier. As for next appointments, She want's to see me again after Thanksgiving break and on a more regular basis after that. I'll be sure to let you all know how things go.

5. mickie newton

Well done Sal. Really pleased you could talk to someone. It is amazing how different you feel once you have spoken to someone about yourself. I felt lighter and relieved because I'd been hanging onto this secret for so long. Well done again :slight_smile: