1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally came out to dad..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by unknownerror, Nov 25, 2012.

1. unknownerror

coming out has gone pretty well so far...all of my friends have been really cool, supportive...occasionally surprised, occasionally not so much...

usually this elicits a semi lengthy conversation, where I discuss how a 40 year old finally comes to term etc. etc....

I came out to my mother this summer and she was accepting, but none too terribly pleased...the closest she's come to bringing it up was a week later during our weekly phone call she asked "anything else you want to tell me...I'm not sure if it's safe to ask that!"

Friday night I finally came out to my Dad...to say he is part of the reason I didn't accept who I am for 25 years is a bit of an understatement, but my sister was there to support me...I mumbled for a bit and worked up the courage and told him. he didn't say much at first then said "well it's not like I'm gonna disown you" showing where his thoughts first went. he said "as long as your happy" and quickly changed the subject...In the past 10 years we had gotten closer and now always end conversations over the phone or in person (especially if we're about to part ways for a while (we live about 2 1/2 hours away) with "love you" that night was the first time in since then that he didn't...

I know some people would be ecstatic with how that went...many people have had much worse horror stories, but I can't help but feel rather depressed over the whole thing.....anyone else with some helpful input?

2. Ticklish Fish

Congratulations...

depressed? maybe get a good night sleep? lol.
    It must have been stressful

3. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

I just came out to my dad today i gave him a letter when he dropped me off at school this morning he called me when i got home (cuz he wasnt home) and said that he loved me and always will
    I was alittle afraid to tell him cuz of course i wasnt sure what his reaction would be like.
    Very glad i did it now i just need to tell everyone else

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Glad to hear that your coming out journey has gone well, and that your friends have been supportive.

From the sounds of it your parents might need a bit of time to adjust, but it sounds like that they will eventually come around to it fully. Give them a bit of time, and maybe also try to build on your current relationship with your dad. I wouldn't read too much into your dad not having said "love you."

One of the things that can help parents to adjust and be fully on board as it were, is when they see that (in this case) their son hasn't changed and that coming out has made life better. Be yourself around them and keep doing what you were doing. Show them (and in particular your dad) that your coming out hasn't changed anything about you and that you are still the same person who has worked on improving the relationship with his dad.

You have done what you needed to do. You knew that you needed to come out, and be open about yourself. This is important too. (*hug*)

5. Lewnatic

Fathers usually seem more capable of handling and processing the information than mothers are. Even if they're disappointed, they're quite able to be rational and think of the greater good, and of you.

My mother seemed much like yours. Accepting, though not pleased, and somewhat awkward afterwards.
    My father was great and told me he thought I was brave, then offered me a cup of tea!