1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who should I come to next?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by dano22, Nov 26, 2012.

1. dano22

dano22 Guest

Well I am out to my parents and I am pretty sure my sisters know they just do not talk about it. I am beginning to come out to my closest relatives and it is hard to do since I am not exactly close with any of them. I cannot come out to my aunt because she is going through a divorce and I cannot come out to my cousin because she is having a baby. I am trying to find the right time to come out to people but something is always going on that ruins it. I am just gonna have it to do it regardless of any other situations going on because there is always something going on.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you feel that coming out to your extended family is not an option at the moment, and given that you feel your sisters already might suspect, I'd suggest trying to come out to them next then. Maybe confirm it for them. It is possible that they are waiting for you to say something.

How did your coming out go so far?

When it comes to coming out, there is never really a right time, because there will always be something. But there are better times than others. The better times are those times were people have a bit to time to listen to you or read a letter and be able to respond without being rushed or pressed for time. If people are already stressed because of life changing events (such as divorce, pregnancy), they might not be in a position to really listen and be there for you.

3. dano22

dano22 Guest

My parents accept my sexuality and just left the rest up to me. My family is very conservative and some of them might not accept it at least right away. I am not close enough with any of my cousins, aunts, uncles to know what their initial reaction would be so it is hard to know what will happen. I think having a boyfriend will be a clear indicator to my sisters that I am gay and I am just gonna do that.

4. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Glad to read that your parents are accepting, despite being very conservative. I think it might help with coming out to the rest of the family. Take it slow, and come out to whom ever you would like to and feel comfortable with.

If you feel that you would like to come out to your sisters by being seen with your boyfriend, that is of course another way you could do it. Let them figure it out and approach you. :slight_smile:

5. dano22

dano22 Guest

Sorry I misspoke. I meant my family is very conservative but my parents are not as conservative. I don't have a boyfriend but if I do that would be one way i would go about it. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

6. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, okay. No worries. I think I misread something too! :slight_smile:

Actually reading the additional information, have you given any thought to mentioning wanting to come out to other family members, and maybe get input from them?

Reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like that you are anxious to come out to other family members at the moment. Maybe, and if you have a friend or someone that you know who doesn't know yet, try coming out to them instead?