1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my Sister

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by TheFirstStep, Nov 27, 2012.

1. TheFirstStep

It was about 10:30, and my sister was sitting there by herself in the living room watching a movie. Mom and dad had just gone to bed, and I was ready to go to.

But I saw the letter on my desk, the one that I had planned to give them sometime this week, and it occurred to me that my sister still didn't know, and It seemed unfair to me that she be left out in the dark about what was going on.

So i went downstairs, sat on the couch across from her, and watched the movie for a little bit. Then i asked her if i could trust her.

SHe replied 'yea, why?'. Slightly raising an eyebrow in suspicion.

That's when i began to tear up, and asked said, 'i know how mushy this sounds, but i need you to tell me that you will always.love me.'

She could see that i was being devastatingly serious, and she sat up and told me just what i wanted to hear.

That was the moment when i looked down at the floor, closed my eyes, and said in a firm, but shaken voice that i was gay.

I looked to her face, and she sat motionless for about ten seconds, but it might as well have been an hour; i began to sweat as she sat, processing what i had just admitted to her.

Then in an equally firm voice, she replied with something that made me want to cry as hard as i could.

She said, 'i will always back you up.'

The ensuing conversation lead from one topic to the next, covering most of the usual coming out subjects. "Are you sure? How long have you known? So you don't see anything in girls?". And i once again found myself feeling freed of this immense weight on my soul. I felt that i was doing my sister good by showing her just how much i trusted her, and i believe she got the message that we can talk to each other, regardless of subject matter.

i also told her that i wanted her to know before i told our parents, so she could be prepared for it.

thats when she reassured me, 'i will be there to back you up.' then she smiled, walked over to me, and hugged me.

2. Ticklish Fish

Aw, that's so sweet. Congratulations!

(I am guessing it's not a horror movie that something jumped up in the middle of the convo.. or just paused lol)

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! That's really nice to hear! :grin:

4. Bree

That's beautiful! Best of luck with your parents!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's wonderful that your sister has your back covered, and supports you! Congratulations on coming out to her. Hope your coming out to your parents will go well, when ever you decide to go for it. :slight_smile:

6. MixedNutz

7. rday13

rday13 Guest

Congratulations on coming out! The first person is the hardest to tell, but over time it becomes almost second nature with practice.

She sounds like an awesome sister.

8. 341

341 Guest

This is reminding me of when I came out to my father (first person), I just started crying uncontrollably, it's funny because it's not so much of a 'sad' crying it's more of a relief feeling, a bit fear I guess but mainly relief. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

After I came out to my doctor (first out of family), I've been able to come out to people like I'm just telling them my favourite colour, so don't think it will always be like this! xD