1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To my Coworker (and friend)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Cassandra, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello!!! How are you all today?

I'm really fine, now that I came out to another person.

But before getting to that, a little background: I am a lawyer, and work on a law firm wich is dedicated to tribute matters (taxes). Since I wanted to experience this area, I decided to join my father (who is the lead attorney). So, in the local office (the firm have offices in 3 cities) we are 5 people: my father, my sister (the accountant), coworker A (female lawyer), coworker B (male lawyer) and me. The 2 people wich I spent the most time with are my sister and coworker A, since I interact with them all week. Also, I consider coworker A to be my friend.

Now, let's get to the interesting part. I have come out as transgender to only 3 people before, and they were only friends, I mean, people wich I don't spend that much time (we see each other 2-3 times a week). Since I now live on my own apartment, I didn't have to tell my family. So, I noticed those two (my sister and coworker A) are the people wich I spend more time with, and that made them more prone to find out about me, because my condition turns more real the more time passes.

So I decided to tell them, before I commited a mistake and come out unnintentionally at circumstances I could not control. Lately I started to use more feminine pronouns (and adjectives) to refer myself, and sometimes I used them in front of both of them. Also, lately I've been discussing more often with them about clothes and fashion topics (wich made me fear that they would think I'm gay). I knew I needed to tell them, before I made something really obvious.

So, I decided to talk to them on monday, I knew at wich time we had some time alone. But I was too nervous about telling my sister, and I couldn't get to tell them. So that afternoon, I decided to tell it to coworker A, but I was (again) too nervous to get anything out of my mouth.

Yesterday, it happened something similar, but in the afternoon I opted to ask my coworker A (my sister doesn't work on afternoons) when would she have half an hour of her time to dedicate to me. She asked me what for, and I just answered that I needed to tell her 'something'. Then, she just put her papers aside and said that right at that momment she had time.

And so, I begun to tell her about how some months ago I accepted I'm transgender, and all the litany it comes with.

It went really smooth. She accepted me right away and told me she wasn't scared or anything, nor she would "run away", and that she will even support me and be with me when I'm ready to tell my sister and my father.

I enjoyed talking with her, and now I have another person I care, to know about me, someone I can talk about things (stereotypical as it may sound, I enjoy talking with her about clothes and shoes and beauty issues), and that can help me to cover up any accident I may have (like the time my sister picked up the high heels that I bought for me:grin:).

I'm really happy now, and I rest more assured that I have one more ally to help me on the long journey I just started.

2. Koan

Koan Guest

Well done. You have shown great courage.

And great that you now have another ally on your long journey :slight_smile:

3. AlexisAnne

That's great Cassandra :slight_smile: It feels better every time you come out, doesn't it? It's also nice to have that moral support. On my end my sister was one of the first people I told and having her by my side for support has helped on more than one occasion :slight_smile: I hope you have similar experiences in the future.