1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by wilted, Nov 29, 2012.

1. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Hi, I'm new to EC. I think I've always known I'm bisexual, but I've just recently sort of come to terms with it. I just can't really believe that I am just figuring this out. For years family members and friends have been asking and hinting at it, but I just got really mad and insisted it wasn't true. So, now how exactly am I supposed to come out after I've been denying it for years?

The person I was thinking about telling first is my roommate. However, 2 years ago (freshman year of college) she and one of our other friends sat down with me and told me that they knew, chanting "It's okay to be gay! It's okay to be gay!" When I insisted that I wasn't, my roommate made some comment about how I might never come out of the closet. Needless to say we haven't discussed it since. I don't really know how to tell her now.

I also would like to tell my best friend, but the school she goes to is 4 hours away from me, so I'm waiting until I go home for winter break because I don't want to tell her over the phone. I'm not worried about telling her at all because she never hinted at me being gay or bisexual before so I don't think it will be too awkward.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

First of congratulations on accepting yourself, and realizing it is okay to be you, and to be open about it.

Even though you have denied it when others have hinted at it and have given you signs that they are accepting and supportive, it is okay to go back and say "remember the time when you asked me about my sexual orientation and I got mad, and didn't want to talk about it? Well, the thing is.... "

You can go back to your roommate and try saying: "I have realized it is okay to be okay! And I have accepted it." Maybe give it a try and see what happens.

I think talking to your best friend in person is a great way to go about it. It seems like you are ready for people in your life to know, which is great! :slight_smile:

3. Agree with Mirko :king: