1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTM and Gay Coming Out Story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by JoBa22, Dec 1, 2012.

1. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I figured it out about 3 weeks ago and I was so excited with my discovery that I just jumped right in with some minor changes. I cut my hair, bought a binder, started wearing boxer and shopping in the guys section. When I discovered that I was FTM and gay I wasn't planning on telling anybody for a really long time. I wanted to wait until I talked to a counselor about it before telling anyone, that didn't quite pan out. One of my friends from high school was noticing that I have been upset and decided to ask me about it. Being a psychology major he was always quick to help out. I told him about a few things, but I wasn't prepared to tell him my huge secret. After some thought I decided he would be the best person to tell and he took it really well. I explained to him that I didn't want to tell anyone else until I talked to a professional. He suggested that I speak with a counselor at school. I was debating on telling my roommate and best friend since elementary school. Unfortunately, the opportunity didn't present itself for about a week after I had came out to my friend. It was really important to me that she knew, so I went and spoke with a counselor and afterward I felt on top of the world. The next day I sat her down and explained myself to her. The time leading up to this moment I was feeling physically sick. Growing up we have never known anyone who was trans, we ha plenty of gay friends, but no one was like me. I explained my past, how I was feeling and the steps I had already taken. She took it really well. I couldn't have asked for a better reaction. I felt invincible. I haven't come out to anyone else since then, I would like to eventually, but for right now I'm just focusing on being happy with myself and getting used to the changes. I hope to continue the counseling some how. The problem is my parents don't know yet and I'm not sure if I'll be ready to tell them anytime soon. Which leads me to my question:

To all of the FTM/gay guys, just FTM guys, or gay guys, how did you come out to your parents/family and how did they react?

Thank you for reading!

2. Deaf Not Blind

I did what you did. In April, immediately I went and got guy clothing and even wore to church. I have cut my hair twice now and told the peeps doing it I am not a lesbian I am a guy, don't make me look like no girl! And they did listen.

At uni, I have come out to a lot of peeps, even went to an LGBT group and told them and in a class I am transgender. Lesbians and gays sometimes assume we are lesbians because they do not grasp that our gender ID is something completely different. You are shining proof of that!

I have not officially told mom yet. I would like to have ideas how too. I posted on your thread because although over 60 lurkers read mine, NOBODY commented.

3. Rainbow Music

I told my mom via letter, and she wasn't okay with it at first. She even gave me the silent treatment, but then she came around and accepts me for who I am now. Her and I are even closer than ever now. My grandma on the other hand disowned me.

4. Ashton

I figured that I would just start wearing suits around the house and getting my friends to call me by male pronouns in front of her and see if my mum will figure it out (if she hasn't already) haha I'll let you know how it goes :L probably the worst way to go about it. The only person I am dreading telling is my brother; we have a trans friend and he refuses to call her by female pronouns /: