1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell my Dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by uscg07, Dec 1, 2012.

1. uscg07

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So this is my first post on EC, my apologies if it's not in the right forum or something, really not used to these.

So I'm 23, live with my boyfriend, and am out to everyone...except my dad. He wants to visit for the holidays and has no clue that I have someone living with me.

I know I will tell him and he will find out in time, but when is the question. I guess I'm mostly asking for a "what would you do" type answer. Should I tell him on the phone before he comes up? Kind of impersonal, but at least there is a buffer (350 miles) or wait till he gets to my place where it is personal, but no buffer.

I don't fear him, I fear his reaction...mostly disappointing him.

Any help means a lot to me. Thanks

2. Ticklish Fish

do you have another room that you can pretend he's roommating and you save some rents/bills?

3. 341

341 Guest

I personally think I would mention your boyfriend just generally, not making an announcement about it - talk about him for a brief moment or something?

When it comes to 'coming out' I find placing the idea into somebody's head first will mean it's a less of a shock when it's confirmed. I've not really tried this on any of my family members but it's a way I pretty much 'come out' to everyone new I meet, I just don't stop myself talking about guys really. lol

4. uscg07

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't...other room is full of guns haha...

I thought about it, but I don't want to hide him

---------- Post added 1st Dec 2012 at 10:04 PM ----------

I could...especially since the rest of the family has already met my boyfriend

5. 341

341 Guest

Well then my idea sounds perfect for you. Unless you want to quickly put up some rainbow flags around your house, ready for when he comes. :icon_bigg

6. weboflies

I think you definitely need to contact him some time before he arrives, even if it's less than ideal it'll be a lot easier on him than having you spring it on him and not having any time to process it, just an "I need you to know before you come...". Are your parents still together? It might be an option to talk to your mum first and let her know you want to tell him so she can be your "person on the inside"