1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When I came out to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Rainbow Music, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Rainbow Music

I was raised by my mom and grandma and they knew that i was gay way before i did. But when i came out to my mom via a letter she didn't like it one bit, because my family is christian and i was raised a christian i was also very surprised that i was gay. I didn't even want to tell my grandma because she is an extreme homophobe, so i didn't but my mom told her. my grandma disowned me. One day my school selling t-shirts with their logo on them but they were pink to support breast cancer and my mom and grandma wanted one and so did i. so i got all three of us one; $10 a piece for a total of $30. well one day all three of us were going to wear our shirts and my mom and i wore ours and i noticed that my gma did not. i asked her why are you not wearing yours? she replied with "Because I am not proud enough to be seen with a faggot." I went to school the next day crying, and i went to talk to my Social Worker and she said that I should have asked her, "Well are you proud enough to be seen with your grandson?"

That was three years ago, and my mom is now okay with me being gay. However my grandma is not. She still talks to me, but she no longer considers me her grandson. At first I was upset about, but then i realized why fret about it. if she is not okay with me being gay, then she is totally not worth my time whatsoever.

2. lexi

lexi Guest

I'm sorry that your grandma is acting that way, I'm scared to death my grandma will be the same way :frowning2:

3. MixedNutz

That sucks that she reacted that way, I think my grandmother and father will be the same way.

4. TheFirstStep

at least she now knows the real you.

Im still in the closet to my grandparents, and I worry every day whether or not they'll find out, be it from another family members slip-up, or social media.

Either way, they will find out sooner rather than later, and I can only hope and pray that they'll be able to continue to see me as their grandson and nothing less.

I sincerely hope your grandma comes around. You said that she now talks to you, so maybe she just needs a little more time before she can fully accept it. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you.