1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Coming Out Experience to Friend!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by the frizz, Dec 4, 2012.

1. the frizz

I came out to one of my close friends the other day and I thought I'd share the experience with all of you.

I met her for coffee and I was pretty nervous while I waited for her to show up. I tried to pluck up the courage to tell her for over a year now but I always chickened out or plans changed and never got the chance. I finally built up the courage to tell her on Sunday. In hindsight I don't really know why I was so nervous, she's bisexual and has been open about it so really, I had nothing to worry about but yet, I was still hesitant right up to the moment.

I told her that I am bisexual and have been struggling with coming out to people for some time now. I told her that the reason I struggled so much was because of how terrible my first experience was and how self-loathing I've been over the past few years.

She asked me if I had seen anyone since realizing that I am bisexual. I started to break down a little as I retold the horrors of my first relationship. I also brought up the fact that I'm currently seeing someone.

Her reaction was exactly what I thought it would be. She was very cool about it and even said "I could have told you that you were bi like 2 years ago but I felt like you needed to figure it out for yourself." I asked her what it was that made her think that and she said it was because of my dating history and how painfully awkward/uncomfortable I was when trying to interact with guys.

She suggested that I tell my parents sooner rather than later since I'm close with them and I'll feel better and less stressed if I didn't have to hide this part of me. I can't help but agree with her but also have concerns about when, where, and how to tell my family. I guess I can always ask her for advice in that department since she knows now!

2. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Congratulations Its the best when its a great experience

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's so nice to have supportive friends! I'm glad to hear your experience went so well and you have someone to help you through this. <3

4. Given To Fly

Congrats :slight_smile:

It helps so much when you know you have supportive friends behind you.