1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Gay Couple at the Store

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by TheFirstStep, Dec 5, 2012.

1. TheFirstStep

About a week before I had decided to come out to my parents (11\29\2012), i was going to the grocery store with my mom. Although I am 20 years old now, she still likes to think of our time together in the store as mother-son time, where we can talk and spend some time together.

We were back in the frozen foods section of the store when mom asked me if I could head over to the refrigerated section to grab a bug of milk. I happily obliged and set forth to the milk isle.

I got over there and grabbed what I was sent to get, and I was beginning to head back to home base (the cart), when something caught my eye.

at the other end of the isle, opposite end of the store as me, there was a couple, holding hands, pushing a shopping cart... Smiling and happy.

I stood there, cold jug of milk in hand, and I stared at them.

I felt a tug at my heart, and a pinch in my stomach. I had this urge to stay put, and to embrace my inner creep, and watch.

It wasn't even that I was being a creep, I was, if anything, envious, and sad that at the age of 20, I was still hiding from who I really was.

The couple at the end of the isle separated, and the one left pushing the cart disappeared around the end corner of the shelving unit. The other went to grab a tub of what I can only speculate was butter.

But as he was retreating to his partner somewhere beyond my line of sight, he paused.

tHen turned to look at me.

At this point, I was mentally distressed. I was looking at what I yearned to have, to feel, but couldn't have. To be a part of a whole with someone I was actually attracted to.

I must have been projecting my thoughts to my facial expressions, because he looked at me, and his face melted into a saddened stair into my eyes.

I begun to tear up as I begun to feel his sadness towards me, that was when I looked away to see where my mom was, and to offer myself a chance to hold back tears from pouring from my now red eyes.

Mom was three isles away, and hadn't a clue as to what I was doing, so I looked back to the guy at the other end of the store.

What I saw then, immediately brought tears back to my eyes, and hope to my heart.

He stood there at the opposite end of the isle, tears in his eyes, and mouthed a phrase of words to me. His lips moves slowly, and quivered. But I was able to read his every word.

He said "its okay. I know."

At this point, tears were freely flowing from my eyes, and I couldn't hold them back. I looked back to find where mom was at one last time, then back at him. Then I mouthedsome words back to him in response.

"Thank you."

I said. Then he looked away, and started rubbing his eyes as he disappeared being the shelving unit.

I took about another minute to collect myself and make myself look more presentable to mom, who thought I was taking my time with finding the right milk.

On checking out our items and paying for our stuff, I looked around to see if I could find the couple again, all I wanted was to see them one last time.

But they were nowhere to be found. But the silent conversation I had with that man, and seeing the amount of love and happiness that they had for one another, is as real and vivid in my mind as it was that day.

I hope that one day, I'll be able to have what the gay couple at the store have.

2. 341

341 Guest

Awwwwwwwww, you nearly got me in tears reading that! My step-brother strangely had nearly the exact same experience but with a lesbian couple.

3. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awwwww. I actually had the opposite experience with my boyfriend. A person came up to us at the grocery store, and said she was envious of our love for each other.

4. rday13

rday13 Guest

That's a beautiful story.
    I've come across happy gay couples before (outside college), but I haven't had as profound an interaction. Here's to hoping for a happy future for you :grin:

5. TheFirstStep

I just felt that this story was a good one to post here in the coming out stories section because that experience really helped to push me into doing what I believe to be the right thing in order to achieve happiness.

6. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for sharing this story. :slight_smile: I'll admit I got slightly teary when reading it as well.

7. The Queen Bee

This is quite interesting and inspiring...
    I haven't witnessed something like this...

8. Given To Fly

That's a really nice story - it made me tear up slightly too.

I had a similar experience when in holiday in Florida a couple of weeks ago - there was a cute gay couple aged maybe early 20s in a queue ahead of me at Universal Studios - I probably wouldn't have noticed their affection if I hadn't been checking one of the guys out :icon_redf
    It was nice to see though that while they weren't being overly affectionate, they weren't hiding who they were either. I didn't get up the nerve to speak, but as we got off the ride a little while later I caught the eye of one of them and smiled.

Like the OP, I hope I have that one day, too. :slight_smile:

9. Lad123

Thank you for sharing! What a nice story. Like others have said I got a bit teary :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. PeteNJ

Great story -- yep -- lots of possibilities for much happiness!

I'm older than a lot of you, but I think its the same, I think, that most of us grew up in families, communities, societies that assume everyone is straight. I wasn't even really exposed to gay guys until I got to college - whatever my feelings were about sexuality, its like there was no choice.

So seeing gay & lesbian couples, IRL (hah!), is great!

Very moving, TheFirstStep!

11. yes

yes

oh that's a really sweet story... like something you see in films or imagine happening but usually never does. but now it did! :grin: wow. i wonder why the guy was also tearing up - maybe he had been in your place a while ago and you reminded him of what it was like?
    thanks for sharing this story, it was really nice to read :slight_smile:

12. Sayu

Such a nice story :3 Don't worry, one day, you will be in a store with your partner holding hands! :slight_smile:

13. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That made me teary too... =/ Thank you for sharing this. It restored some of my faith in humanity knowing there really are angels out there. <3

14. TheFirstStep

I remember thinking that afterwards. Thinking that this never happens in real life. I really couldn't believe that, someone whom I have never met, was able to shair the same thought wave with me. It mad, and continues to give me a happy feeling, a feeling that lets me know that there are people out there who know. And can help. Kinda like EC, except in real life.

15. Ruthven

I teared up. That was so sad and beautiful.

16. Lark

Lark Guest

That was a beautiful story. I've never actually seen a gay couple or even spoken to a gay person before. I think what that guy at the store did was incredible.

17. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

That story mad me tear up myself. It pulled right at my heart. Thank you for sharing it

18. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

It's always amazing when you find such hidden beauty in plain sight sometimes :slight_smile:

19. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the latest meeting of my local Harry Potter fan club, I noticed two guys 10 years younger than I were sitting together and cuddling in the cutest way. I felt happy for them, and sorry for myself. A few days later I got confirmation from a friend of a friend that they are, indeed, a couple. I made a mental note to let them know how much I admire them.

20. MatthewJS

I may be a teenager but this nearly made me cry. I wish i can be happy once in my life with someone.