1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Coming Out Story That Went Wrong

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by heominnie, Dec 12, 2012.

1. heominnie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This was recent, actually. Only a few days ago.

I've known that I've liked girls since a very young age, around 6 or 7 when I actually acknowledged it. I was in denial about it during my early early teenage years, as I dated guys and tried to convince myself that I liked them instead.

My parents are super, super religious. Especially my dad. He's extremely homophobic, and always told me it was "wrong" and "disgusting" to like your own gender. As many times as he told me that, I never believed him, I always believed that love is love no matter who it's with.

About 4 months ago, I came out to my sister, who is supportive of LGBT. She told me that she wasn't even surprised, and that she didn't mind. It was hard coming out to her, even though I KNEW she was supportive of that.

Well, about 3 days ago, I figured it was hard hiding my true self from my parents. They were always asking me, "why don't you have a boyfriend yet?" I just had to reply with "I don't know, I don't feel like it." Anyway, 3 days ago, I figured I should just go ahead and tell them. They're my parents, they'll always love me, right?

I don't know.

I told my mom first.

She was furious.

Then my dad came home. I told him.

He was even more furious. They won't even look at me or talk to me right now. They said it was "beyond repulsive" and "just a phase."

I'm hoping they'll get over this. But they've always gone over the top.

I remember when I was 12, I wasn't allowed to cut my hair, but I cut my bangs and my saw them and screamed at me for hours and just cried. I got grounded for a month. I couldn't even go out or see ANYONE. They even kept me from seeing my parents.

I'd say cutting your bangs is completely minor, compared to coming out as lesbian to your extremely homophobic parents.

No, I'm not in any danger or anything. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks for listening.

<3

2. ameliawesome

can you still talk to your sister? if so, just talk to her about it. talk to anybody who will support you. of course everyone here supports you, but your sister is your sister and it's great that you have her :slight_smile: hopefully your parents will cool down soon, at least enough to stop being hurtful towards you.

3. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Thats sad indeed im sorry they had such a bad reaction hope it gets better for you. Your sister sounds great though

4. MixedNutz

Sorry to hear that, I know all about super religious family members.

Sounds like your sister will be your sole support system right now.