1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering never coming out to my parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by JoBa22, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At first I was heavily considering telling my parents I'm trans and gay within the next couple of weeks, but now I'm not so sure. I got a tattoo recently and they are really ticked off about that. I'm not sure how they would take something as serious as coming out compared to how harshly they reacted to a simple tattoo. My parents haven't been too accepting of things like this before. My dad always has a rude comment about homosexuality or anything of the like whenever it comes up. He mocks it. I've tried to explain it to him before but it's always been a fight for him to even listen to me. My mom never says anything about it at all. I honestly don't know how she feels about it. I don't know if I'll ever tell them now.

Has anyone else kept it from their parents for an extended period of time? How long? How does it feel?

2. JohnJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that coming out is a very personal thing. Every situation and person that you come out to is different. It has to feel right and be safe before you do it. If you know (or suspect) that you will get a bad reaction maybe it would be better to wait for a better time. I think that parents are the hardest ones to come out to. Mine still don't know, and that is fine. I will wait until they seem ready for the news. Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. JoBa22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm just worried the more people I come out to, the more risk I'm taking them finding out from someone else. That's the last thing I want. I'm at the point where I want everyone to know so I can finally live freely and happily, them knowing is the only thing holding me back.

4. nydtc

Sadly, I never had the chance to tell my parents who I was. I will always wonder - did they know? What did they think? How would it have changed our relationship ( if at all)?
    Having said that, I do think the timing of when to come out to your folks is a personal matter - and one best handled by you. Would you rather control the conversation - or have your Mom come home from the supermarket upset because she heard a rumor about you - that you then have to confirm????

5. Niko

My family always had something negative (or at least i took it that way) to say about trans people. They got really annoyed at me for calling my friend's boyfriend who is a transman a he when they're really a "she". My sister would tell me if you had female parts you were a girl and if you had male parts you were a boy and nothing says otherwise. I remained in the closet for some time because of that; but then came out to them by accident and it actually changed their perspective on the whole thing.
    So for you, I do believe the right moment means everything, don't rush it or anything. Also if you think they might not listen to you, write them a letter (no not an email, an actual letter, it should be personal). That way you won't be interrupted, you have time to think about what should or shouldn't be said and they can ask you questions afterwards.